Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I hate showing my ignorance but: I can't figure out how to use my external HD  (Read 6107 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
I bought a Western Digital 500GB USB hard drive, "PASSPORT" to use for backup storage etc.  When I plugged it in, the computer loaded the drivers.  It does not show up on the "COMPUTER" window along with the other drives.   But it does show up in the  "DEVICES AND PRINTERS" window as another device along with my monitor and camera.   The device manager shows it as another drive and that "This device is working properly".  However I can't open it or load anything into it.  Am I missing something here??  ???  Can anyone give me any advice as to what to do?   >:(   Thanks for reading this.  J
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
If you dont have any data stored to it yet... go to Disk Management and you should see it there possibly with no partition created. Create a new partition and format the partition ( which usually happens after the partition  creation by windows ). Now a drive letter will be automatically assigned and you should use it without any problems.

***Note: If this is a smaller 2.5" drive that is powered off of the same USB cable that it communicates on you could be dealing with insuficient power from the USB port to the drive. If this is the case, you need to add a powered USB HUB or if this drive has a way to power it from wall power, use the power adapter that came with it to power it vs using USB power source. I have seen some laptops unable to power external 2.5" drives and require a powered USB HUB or wall power via the power adapter that came with it optional.

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
 DaveLembke Thanks for the comeback.  I tried to go to "Disk Management" but my computer would not even bring up the disks that it is using.   I guess I need to fix windows.  I went to my laptop and tried that.  Disk management would bring it up alright but I couldn't do anything with it.  It recognized that it was there but that was all.  It is a small 2.5" drive that is powered by USB.  I guess I need to get a powered hub.  The other External Drive that I have is an old one, quite large and it is powered  by AC.  I tried checking with Western Digital for help but no luck.  Thanks again for your help.  JIM

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Right clik it on the laptop and select Format...let it run to completion.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
Hi

Is this a PC WD drive or a MAC drive, Western Digital make both. A mac formatted usb drive will display the symptoms you describe.

If it is a Mac format drive it will not reformat with Windows xp but should under 7 or 8. If you don't have windows 7 or 8 you could download a boot cd image of minitool partition wizard.
   http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html
That will start from the cd and allow you to repartition and format the drive.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
Lisa_maree:   Thank you...     When I bought it the literature said it would work on PC or Mac.  It is called a "My Passport Edge".   I don't know if it is new or previously used.  I bought it on ebay.  It was packaged like it was new but who knows?    It could have been previously used on a Mac.  I am running Windows 7.  When I plug it in, the computer lumps it in with Printers and Devices along with my camera and monitor.

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
VIOLA  To all who helped me.. Thank you so much.   I don't know what happened but when I plugged it in today it worked fine.  I was able format it and load data..   Thanks again  GBWY  Jim

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
For future reference:
http://support.wd.com/product/install.asp?groupid=221&lang=en
Installation Support   My Passport Edge for Mac

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Glad to hear you are fixed up...

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Who's viola?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Who's viola?

;D             :P

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
PATIO     Just my antiquated way of saying hurrah's.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
I believe you meant VOILA, not VIOLA - that's what we were smiling about ;)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
 :D ;D :D ;D  I got a belly laugh out of that....TKS

Salmon Trout