Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: administrator login  (Read 2664 times)

jay_floyd

administrator login
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:45:39 PM »
daughter had issues with computer - did a restore and now computer is asking for administrator login - pc is upgraded from me to xp.  need help if anything can be done.  Lost wireless usb device drivers and now can't reinstall without administrator login.  By the way restore didn't complete and error message still comes up of restore not complete upon bootup.  Nothing on the pc worth saving any ideas?

thanks,  jay

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: administrator login
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:35:29 PM »
    I suppose you tried without administrator password: just press ok when it asks that password; if you are a bit lucky, no one has set up an administrator password.
    If you don't want to save anything, just insert the windows xp cd and reinstall Windows XP. You can erase the partition, recreate and install on a fresh partition. Be careful, still: you need all the drivers for all those components you see, outside computer case, and also for the components you don't see, inside computer case. And, of course, you will have to reinstall every application you want to use.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 05:27:54 AM »
    daughter had issues with computer - did a restore and now computer is asking for administrator login - pc is upgraded from me to xp.  need help if anything can be done.  Lost wireless usb device drivers and now can't reinstall without administrator login.  By the way restore didn't complete and error message still comes up of restore not complete upon bootup.  Nothing on the pc worth saving any ideas?

thanks,  jay

How to erase my hard disk drive and start over

Once done, take the proper security measures before connecting to the Internet.

Virus scanners
    AVG Free
    -- Anti virus scanner

Anti spy/malware
    Microsoft Antispyware
    -- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    -- Anti spyware scanner
    Adaware SE Personal
    -- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
    Using only one firewall is advised. Dual firewalls may cause problems.
    Using a hardware firewall and a software firewall is even more adviced.

ZoneAlarm Free
    -- Free firewall - more user friendly
    Sygate Personal
    -- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
    The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
    They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
    -- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
    McAfee Stinger
    -- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
    CWshredder
    -- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

jay_floyd

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 11:21:49 AM »
    no viking i wasn't that lucky, so I kinda thought that I'd have to reinstall everything, so thanks guys will let you know how it goes

thanks   Jay