Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer often freezes  (Read 2836 times)

grandpa ken

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer often freezes
    « on: July 19, 2010, 01:53:13 PM »
    I have several problems that may or may not be related.
    My PC is an HP 8200 Media Center,
    500gb hd, 3 gb mem

The PC had Vista pre-installed; I recently upgraded to Win 7, the problems began after the upgrade

Problem #1- The pc freezes,in order to get it working, i have to do a hard shutdown, i have had to do this repeatedly, i hope that i have not done too much damage to my hd. I have lost work a few times as a result of this.

Problem # 2 - The pc randomly will show a blue screen that mentions a memory dump

Problem # 3 - I have the pc connected to a 32" TV/monitor,sometimes the signal is lost between them, i bought a new cable but the problem still randomly occurs

Can someone please give me some ideas??

Thanks in advance

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer often freezes
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »
      You should start by going to HP support and installing the win7 drivers as needed for your model and operating system. (chipset being very important)

Then address drivers for add on devices such as cards and such. Add on Graphics cards are important to update for win7.

If you need more advice please feel free to ask.
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:11:24 PM »
    Go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings. Uncheck "automatically restart". Next time there's an error the blue screen should remain up - post the entire contents of that screen here.

After installing W7, did you indeed install the correct drivers?

Once everything is straightened out you'll want to run chkdsk /r on the system drive to repair all the lost clusters you are causing with the hard shutdowns, but we'll worry about that later.

grandpa ken

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:02:36 PM »
      Sorry to have taken so long to reply, i have been ill. I am ready to try your suggestions, i will let you know what happens
      thanks again

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »
      It may be video card overheating.

Let's see, what causes your BSODs...

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
      No installation required.
      Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
      When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
      Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
      Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.