Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Free Firewall program major issues.  (Read 2526 times)

Matt8D

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Free Firewall program major issues.
    « on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
         I downloaded COMODO Free Firewall from their website today. During installation there was an option to download "GeekBuddy" which is supposed to be a program used for technical help, though it did mention something about speeding up my computer.  After installing it, the Firewall program ran just fine for about 20 minutes with no sign of the GeekBuddy program running. Then a pop up in the bottom corner of the screen asked if I'd like to Optimize my OS. I clicked OK and it started doing whatever it is computer things do. When it finished, a log of "Cleaned" registry entries popped up. I thought nothing of it and closed it out.

Now the problems arise. I can't run many programs: If I try to it has an error message that reads "(file name) The pipe state is invalid." This message also appears upon attempting to install/uninstall anything. I cannot restore my computer to a previous date because all of my backup entries have mysteriously disappeared. Also, just after start up a massage appears telling me that “Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed.”

Please not that i cannot uninstall GeekBuddy, Or COMODO Firewall, or anything for that matter, backup, or restore, nor can I install any uninstallation programs. I also don't really want to mess with my registry unless whoever is instructing me knows EXACTLY what they are doing. I want to fix the problem, not make it worse.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Free Firewall program major issues.
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
    Never, NEVER use optimizers or registry utilities. NEVER.

See if that program has an undo function. If not, depending on your OS you can try a Repair Install or sfc /scannow

In the future you should use disk imaging software on a regular basis. Create an image on a second hd on a weekly basis, keeping the 2 or 3 most recent images, and you'll always have a safe haven.

Matt8D

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
      I fixed the problem.
      I simply wen to system restore on bootup. All my missing restore points magically reappeared, allowing me to restore to an earlier point. Also I discovered that if you VERY quickly open task manager you can end the 2-3 processes associated with the program. Though that really didn't help the problem.

So, If anyone else is having this problem, just tap F8 on startup And you most likely will find the system repair tools nessecary to restore your system.

Thanks for the help, CH! My comp is fixed, and my files intact.

P.S. STAY AWAY FROM COMODO ANTIVIRUS/FIREWALL

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »

I've used Comodo for a good while now with no problems.

When downloaded, it installed geek buddy, i went to Comodos' site, read about it. Googled it, read some more, then come to the conclusion that i wouldn't use it and let it expire.

Comodo is not the problem here, clicking on things that you know nothing about is.
      11 cheers for binary !