Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Icon indicates I'm not connected, but I can still browse?  (Read 2484 times)

indecent_exposure

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Icon indicates I'm not connected, but I can still browse?
    « on: January 17, 2012, 10:07:34 PM »
    The computer I am now currently on was just recently fixed. There was a hardware problem, but I assume they corrected it. I'm not sure if that has something to do with the connection problems I'm having at this moment, but it might. I figured it's relevant. 

Anyway, I try to connect to my wireless connection, and in doing so, it will say it's connected, but the icon at the lower right corner shows the small x. I can browse for a few minutes, but after it won't let me for a few minutes. Usually I backup a few pages, and then it works. I had to turn off my proxy settings and the firewall for the internet to even work on FireFox and Google Chrome. IE still won't work.

I'm not sure if it's a router problem, or the actual laptop itself. I can connect perfectly fine on my Iphone and other devices (Wi, Xbox 360,..). I just don't know.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm using Windows Xp
    Inspiron 8600
    AVG is installed, along with Ccleaner and Malware/Spyware detectors.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Icon indicates I'm not connected, but I can still browse?
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:17 AM »
    Can you confirm that your wired connection works flawlessly on all browsers? The red X might point a disconnection from wireless network.  I don't see any relevance of using proxy settings for a home network setup.

indecent_exposure

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
      Yes, on my desktop which is connected through the modem works fine. It's just the laptops wireless connection that acts strange. It will say its not connected, but I can still get on the Internet. It will then say that it's lost the connection.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
      Check first if you have a secured wifi network. Try changing your router/modem channel and check for any wireless interference on your room or location.