Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd doesn't open  (Read 2275 times)

diapolets

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    dvd doesn't open
    « on: June 12, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
    i forgot to eject a dvd from dvd rom on my laptop and it stayed ther the whole night.it didn't when i tried to open it the following day,but i used a needle on the small hole on a rom to open it.the problem is that even after i ejected the dvd it doesn't want to open the normal way.what must i do before i open the whole laptop?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: dvd doesn't open
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
    This is a common problem with optical drives. Laptops usually have a spring loaded eject which requires you to pull the tray out and remove the disc that is snapped into the spindle, or a mechanical feed in which there is no tray and it grabs the disc to take it away.

Desktop computers usually have the mechanical tray that ejects all the way out with a disc that rests in the pocket of the tray.

Unfortunately usually when these drives act this way to not eject a disc they are damaged internally, which can be anything from a broken piece of plastic to a gear tooth or catch, to a rubber belt that is slipping, stretched, or popped off.

The good thing is that optical drive replacements are usually not too expensive and some laptops come with removable optical drives which do not require you to have to open the laptop.

To help further... what is the make and model of the laptop so I can see what you are up against and direct you on the best corrective action for this computer.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: dvd doesn't open
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
    Actually optical drive replacements for laptops can be quite pricey...
    However...carry on.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "