Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox may be removing the option to disable JavaScript in preferences  (Read 5141 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Source: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=873709

In some of the latest builds, Firefox has had the option to disable javascript through the options dialog entirely removed, in it's stead, disabling javascript now requires you to go to about:config and toggle an "advanced" setting.

This seems like an altogether dumb change.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

Does this affect people who use NoScript?

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com

I don't think so.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes

As BC says, I can't see that it would, especially as the option will still be there in about:config.  Noscript does many things that Firefox does not allow by default, so I doubt this will affect Noscript.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
As BC says, I can't see that it would, especially as the option will still be there in about:config.  Noscript does many things that Firefox does not allow by default, so I doubt this will affect Noscript.

For me, the issue is sort of the same as one of the commenters. In order to disable Javascript, you will have to use about:config, which requires acknowledging that it's dangerous, and that you know what you are doing, etc. But disabling javascript isn't dangerous at all; in fact, running javascript all the time could be considered more dangerous, and it why we have add-ons like noscript.

It just seems like the option should be part of the application itself, rather than hidden away. (it removes the Options->Content "Enable Javascript" checkbox entirely, making it impossible to disable without advanced techniques or addons, and I find it hard to really see where they are coming from with this sort of change.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
It does seem an odd step to take, it's not as if the setting takes up tons of space and moving it from the normal options menu will streamline the UI or something.  I like Noscript better anyway just because it gives much more control and you can enable/disable it for specific domains or sites, as well as control other forms of scripting.  Removing the JavaScript option just seems very bizarre.