Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for a good gaming laptop to replace my current one in December.  (Read 3242 times)

jonathanp55

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Right now I have an Alienware M17x R3. I have been having problems with it, and just looking for a good gaming laptop. I want to stay away from Dell (and Alienware) and from the reviews, Toshiba gaming area. What options do I have?

jonathanp55

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
Re: Looking for a good gaming laptop to replace my current one in December.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »
Also I want a strong laptop, not something in cheap plastic like Dells.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »
What's your budget, and whereabouts in the world are you located?
I wouldn't want to buy an Alienware myself as they're usually very much style over substance, and the "style" is questionable at best.
I picked up a Dell L702X for my girlfriend recently at a very good price, it's not a hardcore gaming laptop but it handles most games and it's very solidly built indeed.  That's not a recommendation, as the L702X is older now, just to say that models within manufacturers' lineups can vary, so unless you've truly had a horrific experience with Dell, Alienware and Toshiba support or something, I wouldn't rule them out entirely.

jonathanp55

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:32:36 AM »
What's your budget, and whereabouts in the world are you located?
I wouldn't want to buy an Alienware myself as they're usually very much style over substance, and the "style" is questionable at best.
I picked up a Dell L702X for my girlfriend recently at a very good price, it's not a hardcore gaming laptop but it handles most games and it's very solidly built indeed.  That's not a recommendation, as the L702X is older now, just to say that models within manufacturers' lineups can vary, so unless you've truly had a horrific experience with Dell, Alienware and Toshiba support or something, I wouldn't rule them out entirely.

I am looking to not spend more then $2000. Less is better, but I want something good like the Alienware is. Dell is not bad, its just that Alienware (which is owned by Dell) is not built very well, Major hardware problems now, and I want to get away from Alienware. Toshiba I had the best experience with, BUT the gaming one, the QOSMIO, had REALLY bad reviews on Amazon and on the internet. I had an HP Pavilion but it had heat problems. I might look at HP again, or Asus looked ugly but like a good computer. I live in Puerto Rico, so some places will not ship, but I have people to ship from the U.S. Plus we have CompUSA which probably will order laptops in.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:36 AM »
Is a desktop not an option at all?  You'll get more for your money in terms of performance, reliability, upgradeability and usability.
If not, I'll take a look for you, but I don't know US retailers all that well, so if you or anyone else might be able to suggest some that carry a decent selection, that would be a great help.
I would agree that Alienware build quality is usually lacking, at least from the models I've had experience with - hence my comment above, they seem to be more style over substance.

jonathanp55

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
Is a desktop not an option at all?  You'll get more for your money in terms of performance, reliability, upgradeability and usability.
If not, I'll take a look for you, but I don't know US retailers all that well, so if you or anyone else might be able to suggest some that carry a decent selection, that would be a great help.
I would agree that Alienware build quality is usually lacking, at least from the models I've had experience with - hence my comment above, they seem to be more style over substance.

I can look, If it is a Desktop, I need something that can hook up to my 55inch TV and use my TV as a monitor without any problems. HDMI or whatever. But really a laptop would be best right now, but I will consider Desktops. TigerDirect does ship to us, which I just found out, so that is always an option. Ill have to keep a look out.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:11:36 AM »
I still struggle with the concept of gaming and laptop being used in the same sentence...
You could build a desktop gaming beast well below your laptop budget...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
Indeed.  A desktop is almost always a better option than a laptop, unless mobility is an absolute requirement - however it often works out cheaper to have a good gaming PC and a laptop to use on the move, saves having to compromise on performance, reliability, cost, upgradeability, longevity and mobility just to be able to move the gaming machine around a little.
I'll have a look and see what's available within your budget, give me some time :)