Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Load an OS  (Read 6589 times)

illhopethat

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Can't Load an OS
    « on: October 13, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
    Sorry in advance for poor formatting, im on my phone. Here is the full story:
    I was trying to dual boot Ubuntu and that wasn't working so I attempted to delete the Ubuntu partition. After restarting, I got the following error:http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19518806.aspx
    "Checking media [failed] [...]
    No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine"

To give you some background data I was running factory installed Windows 8 in UEFI mode.

So here is where I am now: I have data on C drive that I would like to keep, but I would much rather actually have my computer working with a fresh install if that's the best case.

When I go into boot options I only see UEFI onboard LAN IPv4 and UEFI onboard LAN IPv6.

To clarify, I do not have the option to boot from hard drive or from a USB (when I put a Windows 8 bootable USB in).

Some extra info: when I change the boot option from UEFI to Legacy I have the USB option pop up but I can't install windows because of the following error: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu8gg0sgwz4lq9i/2013-10-13%2002.06.25.jpg

I appreciate all your help in advance. Please respond with questions and requests for additional info and I will reply promptly. Thank you!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can't Load an OS
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:43:08 AM »
    The HDD doesn't need to be able to boot to retrieve your data...
    Get a laptop to IDE converter cable (least expensive solution ) or an external USB HDD enclosure that accomodates laptop HDD's...hook it up to a working desktop and copy/move all your data.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

illhopethat

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Can't Load an OS
      « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
      Thanks for the quick reply Patio!

I was able to access my data using a Linux live CD with the file explorer.

The way I solved this problem was to use a UEFI bootable USB (this was created using UEFI instead of GPT as an option with a program called Rufus.)

The normal bootable USB didn't show in UEFI mode but this did.

Then I installed Windows 8 on a free space partition and now I have two versions installed and I will hopefully be able to access my data, but either way my computer will now boot!

Please close this thread.