Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Icons  (Read 3105 times)

Saajuk

File Icons
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
I have these custom file icons i use to label all my movie folders but im trying to figure out how i can keep them when transfering the file from one computer to another. I tried having the icon file moved over with the actual folder but it doesnt work. which is weird cause it seems like it would since the file is present on both pc's, unless its like a hyperlink then i can understand. I also tried linking the icon file directly from the same movie folder it was transforming but the transfer other drives and pc's negated the image. Is their a way to keep my custom folder icons while transfering them over multiple pc's or do i have to properties>customize>change icon every single file?... pls tell me i dont =(

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:22:30 PM by Saajuk »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: File Icons
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »
In general, there is a library of icons used for shortcuts.
But do you really mean icons or images?
Actual icon are of type ICL and can either be by themselves, in a library or embedded inside a file.

The folder image can be called 'folder thumbnail' and can be altered.  Is this what your want? In windows 8 it has to be on the  desktop before you can change it. You can use a image file inside of the folder. A GIF with size 72 by 64 will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeEd2Ocn8Q
Does that help?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:56:38 PM »
Are you customizing the icon using the Folder Properties option?

If so, that information will be stored in a desktop.ini file stored within the folder. This file is normally hidden, even if you have Explorer set to show hidden files. Depending on how you are copying the data, desktop.ini might not be being copied, or the icon setting might not apply (It uses a local system path to point to the icon file or resource).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Saajuk

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
In general, there is a library of icons used for shortcuts.
But do you really mean icons or images?
Actual icon are of type ICL and can either be by themselves, in a library or embedded inside a file.

The folder image can be called 'folder thumbnail' and can be altered.  Is this what your want? In windows 8 it has to be on the  desktop before you can change it. You can use a image file inside of the folder. A GIF with size 72 by 64 will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeEd2Ocn8Q
Does that help?

O I didnt realize you couldnt see the custom tab in propeties on windows 8 w/o the folder being on the desktop. It appears on my seagate external hardrive though. That video didnt help but thanks. Im actually making renders from anime and using converticon.com to create the .ico file type to make the renders appear instead of the yellow folders. Their all being saved into my document folder so they arent hidden or anything in the case of what BC_Programmer was saying.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
O I didnt realize you couldnt see the custom tab in propeties on windows 8 w/o the folder being on the desktop.
He is incorrect- the Customize tab appears on any folder.

Im actually making renders from anime and using converticon.com to create the .ico file type to make the renders appear instead of the yellow folders. Their all being saved into my document folder so they arent hidden or anything in the case of what BC_Programmer was saying.
I was not referring to the icon being hidden. The data dictating the Folder icon is saved in a desktop.ini file. Since it is an external and you are talking about moving it between computers, it is likely it appears under different drive letters. On the PC you set the icons on for example the folder might be S:\somefolder and the icon is S:\somefolder\youricon.ico, so that specific path get's stored in the hidden desktop.ini file. When you plug it into another PC, the external might be a different letter, which means the icon is P:\somefolder\youricon.ico, but the desktop.ini still specifies S: so the folder icon cannot be retrieved.

If you use notepad, you should be able to enter the folder path of desktop.ini; for example, P:\somefolder\desktop.ini and open it, even though it won't normally be shown. You can then edit it to remove the path specification, and just say "youricon.ico" for example.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Saajuk

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:18 PM »
ok trying to understand, just to be clear
1. I have each .ico file in the folder I want to change
2. I am moving each individual folder from my Windows 8 laptop into a USB flash drive and then transfering them to my windows 7 laptop where the icons picture does not appear anymore (they show up when the flash drive is plugged into the windows 8 laptop but not the windows 7)

You are saying that I need to enter the path (not sure how) to where my .ico files are being stored in my windows 8 laptop (C:\Users\Saajuk\Documents) and change the entire thing to any name I want so that both computers will recognize where to find this desktop.ini file? Could I just delete this pesky .ini file or would that create problems? I guess I should have the icon in one folder instead of multiple ones. So its alot like hyperlinking right? I notice if I change the location the links wont work. Is their a video tutorial on how to do this or something?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:01:43 AM »
You either use absolute reference or relative references.
Absolute works only if both computers have the exact same file naming down to same drive, same user.
So you have to convert to relative reference.
OR
a reference using the common environmental variables.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825266.aspx
Example:
SYSTEMROOT  Refers to the root of the system drive. This is needed when C:\ is not always the system root.

ALLUSERSPROFILE   Refers to %PROFILESFOLDER%\Public or %PROFILESFOLDER%\all users.

A standard practice is to put an icon library in system32.

Saajuk

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
He is incorrect- the Customize tab appears on any folder.
I was not referring to the icon being hidden. The data dictating the Folder icon is saved in a desktop.ini file. Since it is an external and you are talking about moving it between computers, it is likely it appears under different drive letters. On the PC you set the icons on for example the folder might be S:\somefolder and the icon is S:\somefolder\youricon.ico, so that specific path get's stored in the hidden desktop.ini file. When you plug it into another PC, the external might be a different letter, which means the icon is P:\somefolder\youricon.ico, but the desktop.ini still specifies S: so the folder icon cannot be retrieved.

If you use notepad, you should be able to enter the folder path of desktop.ini; for example, P:\somefolder\desktop.ini and open it, even though it won't normally be shown. You can then edit it to remove the path specification, and just say "youricon.ico" for example.

ok I finally got what you were saying. I made it to were I could see the actual desktop.ini file, clicked it and changed the part that said "IconResource=" and made it just the name of my .ico file  since the .ico file is always going to be in the same folder it changed it solves everything. thank u!

EDIT: not a big deal but for some reason when I do the above I can see the icon showing in both large and small thumbnails in my flashdrive when plugged into my windows 7 laptop but only the small thumbnail i can see in the windows 8 laptop. Not sure why that happens.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:42:11 AM by Saajuk »