Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get printer going.  (Read 3320 times)

lisashomeoffice

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Can't get printer going.
    « on: January 31, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »
    My Samsung laser printer went out on me last week.  I picked up this refurbished HP Laserjet P1505 printer that did not come with a  driver CD or an installation guide. I can't figure out if the front door is supposed to stay open with the stack of papers in it.  All my other printers have doors that close with the papers in it.  I have always had  CD supplied with my other printers and that was easy to install.  This one has a 60 day warranty & has no CD or user guide.  If I could get it printing I could easily print out the user guide;however, that is not the case.  I went to HP site and I tried to download  a driver from their site;however since I don't have Windows 10 it looks like I'm out of luck.  Once I get Win 8.1 that might help. I'm a little behind and having to get this somewhat new printer doesn't help with finances.  I tried to install it manually;however the plug n play wizard won't recognize it.  I just want to get it going but I just don't know where to start.   Can anyone give me some step by step help or help me get started?  I thank you in advance for your replies.

Lisa

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't get printer going.
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »
    Lisa, please clarify. Did you see this?
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-LaserJet-P1500-Printer-series/3435666/model/3435667/drivers
    (Photo from the HP site.)

You can read the user manual on line.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01067075
    Does that help?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:38:38 AM »
    This looks like a budget home type printer. My Canon laser printer (see picture) has an open paper feed tray like the picture. It can be folded up when empty, and for packing and transport, and looks like a "door" but you have to have it folded out and lying flat to hold the paper. Otherwise you cannot print. A lot of budget laser printers are like that. Likewise the paper output is a flap too. Close that and the printer will jam! You don't get fancy trays at these prices.

As for the driver CD you can get a download from the HP website which says "HP LaserJet P1005/P1006/P1500 Printer Series Full Feature Software and Driver: This full software solution is the same solution as the in-box CD that came with your printer." It says it works on Windows 7.

By the way this Canon was a bargain! Brand new 48 UK pounds, plus shipping 5 pounds, about 75 US dollars, and it came with a full capacity 2,000 page toner cartridge (not a smaller starter one like some brands) which has not yet run out. We don't use it a lot. I got it in July 2008! I can get a compatible re-manufactured cartridge for 12.99 pounds, about 20 dollars, or a bottle of toner to do my own refills for about 5.70 pounds, 9 dollars, but I don't fancy doing that really, having seen a few toner disasters at work. For mine you have to make a hole in the cartridge and insert a plug after refilling. You can buy a thing like a soldering iron to melt the hole. A re-manufactured cartridge is cheap enough.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:21:10 AM by Salmon Trout »

lisashomeoffice

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 01:02:19 AM »
      Salmon Trout & Geek pm,
      Thanks for your input.  I went to  HP's site. I got nothing. Their "download & install assistant" must be down.  The button that's supposed to start the download isn't working.  I contacted HP support right now & I am hoping that they have another site that I can go to for this download.  Sometimes these companies can send an email with a link to a site that has the proper download.  I've been through this before with other stuff.  I'll never buy anything again from HP if I don't get this resolved.  I'll let you know if HP comes through with what I need.  Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »
      Thane of the file is:
      ljP1000_P1500-HB-pnp-win32-en.exe
      It takes some effort to find it.
      Lisa, do you have a drop box or Google drive account?
      If you wish,
      If so, open a public folder and give me a password.
      Use PM to send me details. If you want to.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
      Hi

Here is the link for the drivers for your printer and windows XP

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-LaserJet-P1500-Printer-series/3435666/model/3435667/drivers
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

lisashomeoffice

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
        I finally got my printer going!  HP told me I might have to upgrade to IE 9.  I was also told that I could not do that until I upgraded to Win 8.1.  I got lucky & checked in the Control Panel under printers noticed that the software driver did show up in the box.  I checked  "properties" when I clicked on the driver & then it asked if I wanted to test print. I clicked "yes" and a perfect page came up.  I knew eventually I would get this going.  Sometimes I really did not feel like messing with it, so I came back to it later on.  Thanks for all of your help.

:)