Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PushButton Wireless and Intel Pro don't workfor me.  (Read 2433 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
PushButton Wireless and Intel Pro don't workfor me.
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
For years I have used wireless devices by just putting in the password and hit the enter key. Not aby hassle, if the password is right.
Now comes 2016and new routers have push buttons and all your have to do is push the button. Really? What if the router ins behind my desk on the floor? Or in another room?Or in another building? Why is this better?

To make matters worst, now I can not log in using XP on my laptop that has a Inter Pro wireless adapter. It does not want my password. It wants a PIN. Where is the PIN? Or an ownership password. Huh? I have always been the owner. It is on the route?. Why is this any better?

I demand an explanation! Why not just leave it the was it was?  >:(

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: PushButton Wireless and Intel Pro don't workfor me.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »
WPS buttons have been around for years and are completely optional - Your router will still have a security key that can be used instead of the button - I've owned several routers with these buttons in the past and never used it once.

Not sure what your XP laptop is doing but I doubt it's to do with the WPS button.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:19:04 PM »
This laptop is a Dell IInspiron 1705, also called 9400.

I believe the issue is with the Intel Pro Wireless, buitl0in toy Dell laptop, just does not play well with my knew router. (From Xdinity,, part of ComCast.)
Now I am on the laptop using the Ethernet instead. But I would like to use the laptop in the dining room.
I guess I will have to disable he Intel wireless card and just use a generic WI-Fr * USB thing, winch always works.
The undermines my confidence in anything Intel does.  How can a wireless interface be so hard?
Put another way, if the stuff from China works, why not the stuff from Intel?

* The  spell checker makes it WI-Fr  for unknown reason.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »
What is it actually doing when you try to connect?  Intel are generally known for making some of the best wireless chipsets out there - I explicitly pick laptops that contain them.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
It does not ask for the normal password. Instead, it asks for the PIN. I find the PIN inside he router, then I copy it into the place with Intel wants it. The it waits some two awhile and then says it not make the connection.
Now I use  another wireless device this never happens when doing a wireless connection with this router. I can not find any option to not use the PIN.

EDIT; This is in hardware because it seems to be an issue with this computer only and not Windows XP. To keep my sanity, I just now  rebooted into Windows 7 and the thing works well. Same  Dell  laptop, Same Intel Wireless.   This would make me think some strange thing got into my XP install on this laptop.

Workaround is to either not use XP or use another adapter.
 But if anybody out there knows something about the Intel Pro Wireless card, please say something.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:29:13 PM by Geek-9pm »