Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Totally clueless about Windows 10 and what happened (Long)  (Read 9498 times)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Familiar
    Totally clueless about Windows 10 and what happened (Long)
    « on: January 18, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »
    I had decided to clean one of my computers and all I did was disconnect the monitor, a USB hub, headphones and the power cord to the PC. After putting things back together and letting it sit for a pretty good while, I noticed a slower than usual boot time but it seemed OK. After picking up a couple of compressed air to clean the other computer I have, I booted up the recently cleaned computer after it being off for about 5 days. Everything had changed, wallpaper, speed dial that I use in chrome.

I checked to see if Windows 11 had self installed itself but it hadn't.  I tried system restore and it took forever and eventually said it couldn't complete it and that maybe my antivirus was blocking it. I opened my antivirus (McAfee) to disable it and it asked to be installed. The question is, what in the world could I have done to cause this and what I can possibly do to get things back to normal? I have another system restore point that goes back to before I cleaned the computer but decided to post here first.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Totally clueless about Windows 10 and what happened (Long)
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »
    Hello, your post does not have enough information to make a useful diagnostic of what happened.
    The most probable thing would be something came loose when you put the computer back together. But even that cannot explain why the system is so slow to start working again.
    Allow me to make an observation. I've been working as a electronic technician for something like over 40 years or more. Actually if you include my earlier years as a radio amateur it's more like 50 or 60 years. So I think I know a thing or two about the nature of electronic devices.
    The desktop computers and laptops are now have are among the most sophisticated letter Tronic devices that have ever been made. These devices compare to the type of systems used by the military, the hospitals, the government and big business people. The desktop computer is in effect a real computer that is been reduced down to the size of the desktop. If you are to count all the electronic junctions inside the thing, including all the semi conductor junctions, you get a very very large number that goes beyond human comprehension. A failure of any one of those parts can potentially cripple the computer in a way that is hard to predict.
    At the present time the most effective way to diagnose a desktop computer is five-part substitution. That is just as quick and effective as using a very expensive logic analyzer to see what's going wrong with computer. When the computer just will not turn on and function, is not really very much logic you can analyze anyway.
    Part substitution means replacing memory chips, the CPU, the hard drives, SSD and even the power supply. In a few rare cases even the keyboard might cause the computer to fail.
    Some problems are very esoteric and are not easily understood. When that happens the usual remedy is just to replace the motherboard and not even try to figure out what went wrong with the motherboard. But some people do keep playing with the motherboard and delay find out what went wrong with that. But that is a very hard job.
    My best suggestion is just to get another computer that has similar parts and then your old computer can be used as a source of replacement parts for a new one. That a is about as best you can do to try and recover some of your investment.
    However, if you expect others on the form here to give you some more help, you'll have to be specific about exactly which computer you are talking about and exactly what parts and components are used in that computer and how it was put together or whether not he was a homemade or was a factory purchase computer. It was from a factory, you need to go to their website and see if you can find any information about that particular model that reveal some sort of weakness or might've been in that model. But the fact you made computers seldom have a warranty going past one year, so don't expect them to give you any help unless you had paid for a service plan.
    And the next time you buy a computer you might consider getting an extended service plan if you are not comfortable with trying to diagnose computer problems yourself.
    I believe this is the best honest answer I can give you.   :)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
      A decent reply but not one I was hoping for. I was very careful about cleaning my PC because it wasn't very dirty to begin with. It's an HP which I replaced the hard drive in a couple of years ago. I'm sure I can get it back close to what it was but still don't have a clue what caused it. It has a wireless keyboard with a wired mouse.
      I've cleaned my computers before without any problems and was going to clean our main computer but am a bit hasty now after this siruation. By main computer, I mean the one we use the most and is the newest of the two (HP as well). I don't believe it's the motherboard but don't have 100th the knowledge and experience you have so I won't argue that point. The computer is usable but for example, I prefer a single click mouse to a double click and even that has reverted back to a double click. It just doesn't make sense why it would change so many things.

I appreciate your reply but buying another computer would probably not fly with the little woman. I might be able to man up and talk her into it if needed be. ;D I have a new laptop that I took an earful last year before buying and sometimes a quiet room is preferrable over certain noises if you know what I mean. I'm not PWed, just a touch of wifey PTSD . :P

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
      OK. Here are the items that maybe  alright.
       The Monitor.
       The keyboard and mouse.
       The printer.
       The memory chips.
       The CPU.

If you had another PC with the same motherboard and Power Supply Unit, you could test and use the  items above on the ,id wife.
      Tell her the PC is pregnant and needs a mid wife.
      https://www.pcliquidations.com/p102846-hp-dc5800-sff-computer?r160164167166161&msclkid=d98ee817868b104075a7b63327d16bd4&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS_PCLiq-Shopping&utm_term=4581046484705937&utm_content=Products

HP DC5800 SFF Computer Intel Pentium (E2220) 2.4GHz 2GB DDR2 250GB HDD - Grade C Refurbished   Sale Price    $37.99

The say it works out of the box. I have NOT never used this company.  :-X
      A better place might be Amazon.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 12:12:10 PM »
        Thanks for the response, I needed a chuckle to get me out of a bad mood I was in. Things haven't been going well since about 2 AM this morning (it's 2 PM my time as I post) but your statement about the computer being pregnant was too funny and brought me out of my doledrums a bit. I'll have to fiddle with the weird computer to decide if it needs a makeover. I've seen advertisements about this product called "Extra PC" and wondered if it was any good or just hype. I'm usually not sold too much on all the statements from individuals who have used something and say it's great but it does look good in its commercials.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
        your statement about the computer being pregnant was too funny

What did you do to it?

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »
          Basically just unplugged a few things including the PC to clean it. It acts like I refreshed it or something, it's weird.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
          Whoosh! I meant what did you do to it to make it pregnant? Never mind. Probably in bad taste.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »
          Did you just clean the outside, or the inside as well? For example, did you take RAM modules out and replace them? Likewise hard disk or disks? If you have two hard drives, did you swap them around when reconnecting? One hazard of using a can of air is you can blow dust into any unoccupied RAM slots, and as the contacts are tiny, the degraded electrical contact can cause issues after the modules are replaced. What seems odd is that the machine seems to work, but differently from what you are used to. I wonder if it has gone into safe mode? Personally, I just get the vacuum cleaner out and suck dust out of the CPU heatsink about once a year, taking care not to let the fan spin to a crazy speed (using my finger). Also taking care not to bump the system box around too much.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
          It makes zero sense that after cleaning it and restarting all your Windows settings would be changed...
          That leads me to believe we are not getting the full story here...

Just sayin
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »
             Salmon Trout: First of all, I didn't do anything but blow the dust off of the inside and held the fans to keep them from spinning, Nothing else was touched or swapped.

Patio: If I did anything weird I don't remember it. I would think a person could unhook and re-attach everything and nothing would change or am I wrong to think that?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »
            Does the motherboard have on-board video chip and a separate display card, and if so, is the monitor plugged into the right one? Maybe look in the event logs around the time you first ran it after the clean-up?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »
            Back to basics. The operating system and its settings are stored on the hard drive. When you press the power button, the cpu starts running, and (cut a long story short) loads the operating system (OS) from the disk. If the OS is working differently, something has changed in the way it is being loaded. Is the 'different wallpaper' one that you remember using before? Is it the standard new-install Windows 10 wallpaper (often a sign of a corrupted user profile)? So failing hard drive, maybe. Why did you decide to clean it? Was it running oddly in some way? Is there a new user in Control panel - User Accounts? Along with your old user account?
            « Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:53:47 PM by Salmon Trout »

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
              OK, I am beginning to look at the event viewer but really don't know what to look for. As I first posted, the wallpaper I had was changed. It was changed back to the original Windows 10 wallpaper. Settings on my mouse had been changed back to the original double click which I don't like and was using single click. I use the browser Chrome and had speed dial 2 applied when opening Chrome and it's gone. I was in the process of doing a windows update as I remember after cleaning, I wonder if that did something? I tried system restore and it (after a long time said it couldn't complete the restore and maybe my anti virus was blocking it). I went to McAfee to disable it and it acted like it hadn't even been set up. That's when I turned it off and came to computer Hope.

Oshey

• Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 09:57:59 PM »
                Dd u notice any weird change in the Windows date and time after you discovered this issue

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
                  Dd u notice any weird change in the Windows date and time after you discovered this issue
                  No but I'll take a look. For some reason, it won't do a system restore so I have given up and started over placing things like I want it. A weird thing though, when I change the mouse to a single click, it didn't want to stay that way for a while. I changed it about three times before it took. Also, when it's started it takes much longer to boot than before and it shows the beginning page (inset, not full page) of learning about Microsoft Edge which is strange. I ran Malwarebytes and my antivirus and found nothing.