Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Won't Defrag...  (Read 3043 times)

BubbaBob

Won't Defrag...
« on: January 30, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »
I started to defrag the other day, made sure everything was closed, nothing running.  Went thru defrag steps (START, PROGRAMS, etc.), slected drive to defrag, clicked, progress box appeared, then stopped.  Couldn't X out, close, or anything.  Now, the same thing happens every time I try to defrag.  Box appears, little blocks start to fall, then nothing...frozen.
Any ideas?

Oh yeah, Windows 98SE, 480 MB Ram, 48% free resources, anything else?

GX1_Man

Re: Won't Defrag...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:15:27 PM »
How much free drive space?  Try booting to safe mode (F8 before the Windows logo) and see what happens when you run it.

48%? Eeeek!  :o :o :o :o :
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:16:07 PM by GX1_Man »

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Intermediate
  • Computerfreaks RULE !!!
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:33:40 AM »
    From my experience the defragmentation of Windows is pretty useless and very buggy  >:( ! I use 0&0 Defrag.... it's the best defrag program I know up until now ! U can try it ! :-)
    Don't smoke!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:56:07 AM »
    The next time I want to spend $45 for a defrag program I will sure keep them in mind.   ::)

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 05:43:29 AM »
    This needs a full anti virus/anti malware scan.

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 05:45:28 AM »
    The next time I want to spend $45 for a defrag program I will sure keep them in mind.   ::)
    It doesn't run on non NT based systems either!
    I have to say though, it is a very good program.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 09:53:13 AM »
    BubbaBob, dude, start your computer in Safe Mode and run Defrag.

On the other hand, you may able to get it to run after a normal startup if you close down programs running in the background.  Open the Close Program panel (Ctrl/Alt/Del) and close everything except Explorer.  Then, try running Defrag.

Clearly, with 48% resources free, you've got a lot of things running.  As stated in a previous post, you may have spyware consuming your system resources.  Also, how many icons do you have, after startup, in your system tray (lower right corner, next to time display)?   So, again, Open the Close Program panel (Ctrl/Alt/Del) and close everything except Explorer.
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 10:01:47 AM by soybean »

Duncan_McGregor

Won't Defrag.
    « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 11:53:35 AM »
    I started to defrag the other day, made sure everything was closed, nothing running.  Went thru defrag steps (START, PROGRAMS, etc.), slected drive to defrag, clicked, progress box appeared, then stopped.  Couldn't X out, close, or anything.  Now, the same thing happens every time I try to defrag.  Box appears, little blocks start to fall, then nothing...frozen.
    Any ideas?

Run CCleaner over the system and then re-boot to remove the old index.dat files as they can impede defrag.

If you didn't do this aready try newdefrag.zip.

All it is is the defrag.exe from ME but it is 10 times faster than the '98 defrag.

If you change drives and go up from a 2 MB drive buffer to an 8 MB drive buffer you'll find that defrag runs four times faster still.

I'd love to see defrag run with a 16 MB buffer.

How're you doing on free-space?
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:56:29 AM by Duncan_McGregor »