Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Parallel Port Failure - Now trying to use USB  (Read 2227 times)

Turbo_III

Parallel Port Failure - Now trying to use USB
« on: April 05, 2006, 05:29:02 PM »
I have a Sony Vaio NV100 laptop, running XP 2.0 that recently had the parallel port stop functioning. The printer port/parallel is setup for LPT 1 port.

The only thing it was hooked to was a HP deskjet printer and had previously worked for well over a year. The error code was that windows could not find the printer to print to and timed out. I hooked up a spare, good-working printer and the same thing happend. I then tried another computer to verify the printer and/or cable was faulty and they worked fine so back to the parallel port being the root cause.

I looked through device drivers to see if there was a conflict, hardware device not working properly, etc, and everything said it was ok. I also downloaded a parallel port DOS-based program that checks the integrity of the port and after running it, it said there some missing things (I can't remember what exactly, partitions or something). I also tried reloading the printer software and that didn't matter either.

Lastly, I recently purchased a USB to parallel port cable so I can still use my laptop and use the existing printer. The USB cable loads on windows fine, i.e., recognizes it, but it still won't print. I attempted to manually change the printer port from LPT 1 to a USB but it won't let me via hardware devices and I'm stumped.

I hope I was detailed enough, I know a bit about computers (so please don't play down your instructions too much) but by no means am I a professional.

So...how do you manually change windows so it uses the USB cable for printing?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Parallel Port Failure - Now trying to use USB
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »
     Turbo III.....  Have you tried going into control panel/printers and faxes/ and see if your printer shows up there ...... if it does right click on the printer and select properties then click the port tab ....... and then remove the tick from LPT1 and put the tick at USB ...and see if it will print for you .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Turbo_III

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »
    I actually tried that the first time around and it wouldn't let me change check boxes...this time however, it did. Unfortunately, even though it did and it sent the file off to the printer to print, it timed out and said it was out of paper, which it wasn't.

When I clicked on "configure port", it said that operation wasn't supported either.

Any thing else to suggest?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »
      Turbo III...........  
      I also downloaded a parallel port DOS-based program that checks the integrity of the port and after running it, it said there some missing things (I can't remember what exactly,
       Could you run that app again and post exactly ...the results...... (it may offer a clue)

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.