Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: server  (Read 2963 times)

Buzzyonthelake

server
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:53:08 AM »
In  SIMPLE terms,  could I get an  brief explanation of what a  SERVER  is, . .or what it does.  Thx.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: server
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 01:20:33 PM »
I thought maybe you could put it in language I could understand.  Ease up.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 04:11:29 PM »
Buzzy:

Good question!

HowStuffWorks.com is a great Web site for beginners.  Check out some of these links from the Web site regarding Web servers and domain servers:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=HPIC%2CHPIC%3A2006-07%2CHPIC%3Aen&q=server+site%3Ahowstuffworks.com&btnG=Search

Best regards,
Doc

P.S. Never stop asking questions, or trying to answer the questions of others!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:20:09 AM »
I thought maybe you could put it in language I could understand.  Ease up.

Er... well the point of my link was that it took you straight to an explanation!

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:37:25 AM »
HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM  was the correct answer.  Thanks.

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:39:59 AM »
Well,  it was the more correcter ( usefuler , understandabler )  answer.  ;D

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:02:57 AM »
And none of this was helpful?  (First link on Google):

Definitions of Server on the Web:

* A computer that delivers information and software to other computers linked by a network.
      www.utas.edu.au/library/etutor/main/webzglos.htm

* A process that runs on a host that relays information to a client upon the client sending it a request. Servers come in many forms: application servers, web servers, database servers, and so forth. All IP-based servers can be load balanced. See Web Server.
      www.loadbalancing.net/glossary.html

* A host computer on a network that holds information (eg, Web sites) and reponds to requests for information from it (eg, links to another Web page). The term server is also used to refer to the software that makes the act of serving information possible. Commerce servers, for example, use software to run the main functions of an e-commerce Web site, such as product display, online ordering, and inventory management. You'll also hear this described as "shopping cart technology. ...
      www.netsetgo.com/glossary.php

* A server is a computer that handles requests for data, email, file transfers, and other network services from other computers (ie, clients).
      www.usg.edu/galileo/skills/ollc_glossary.html

* Any computer on a network that contains data or applications shared by users of the network on their client PCs.
      www.krollontrack.co.uk/legalresources/glossary.asp

* A file server and/or a computer that processes requests for HTML and other documents that are components of web pages.
      investigate.conservation.org/expeditions/guyana/glossary.htm

* 1) In general, a server is a computer program that provides services to other computer programs in the same or other computers. 2) The computer that a server program runs in is also frequently referred to as a server (though it may contain a number of server and client programs). 3) In the client/server programming model, a server is a program that awaits and fulfils requests from client programs in the same or other computers. ...
      www.planetech.co.uk/glossary.htm

* describes any application that serves another - for example the computers that hold web pages are called servers since they serve up web resources to client applications such as web browsers.
      www.smallbizonline.co.uk/glossary_of_internet_terms.php

* Can refer to the machine that stores files of many users and programs that can be shared, or to the program that allows communication with a browser. Shared authorship
      www.sir.arizona.edu/resources/glossary.html

* A computer or software providing services to remote client machines or applications, such as supplying page contents (texts or other resources) or returning query results.
      webmaster.lycos.co.uk/glossary/S/

* In general, a server is a computer program that provides services to other computer programs in the same or other computers.
      www.pacific.net.au/customer_support/glossary/

* A computer, or a software package, that provides a specific kind of service to client software running on other computers. The term can refer to a particular piece of software, such as a WWW server, or to the machine on which the software is running, eg "Our mail server is down today, that's why e-mail isn't getting out." A single server machine could have several different server software packages running on it, thus providing many different servers to clients on the network.
      home.montrose.net/support/glossary.html

* System that provides large-capacity audio and video storage for video-on-demand retrieval, transmission, post production, news, etc. Most professional servers use digital disk storage.
      www.wgcu.org/watch/hdtv_glossaryofterms.html

* a computer that stores application and data files for all workstations on a network; also referred to as a file server.
      www.sunrise.uk.com/glossary.html

* A powerful computer that holds data to be shared over a network. Can be used to store critical data for retrieval. A server also acts the communications gateway between many computers connected to it, responding to requests for information from client computers. On the Internet, all Web pages are held on servers. This includes search engine and directory data accessible from the Internet. Typically, the computers running the server software are dedicated to that purpose.
      www.botics.com/marketing/seo_glossary.htm

* A computer, or a software package, that provides a specific kind of service to client software running on other computers.
      www.qeiicc.co.uk/organising_an_event/it/glossary

* Computer hardware and software that is attached to a network and which automatically stores, processes and transmits data or information that is generally accessed by many people using client programs. A standard language is used to define this client-server interaction.
      www.wda.org/Public/help/glossary.htm

* A computer, program or process which responds to requests for information from a client. On the internet, all web pages are held on servers.
      www.studio6.ca/seo_glossary.html

* The player who puts the ball into play.
      www.volleyball.com/learn_the_terms.shtml

* A computer system that manages and delivers information for client computers.
      www.uoguelph.ca/history/urban/glossary-01.html

* A program that receives requests for information from a client program, lo
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:03:15 AM by robpomeroy »

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 08:31:34 AM »
I think someones feelings were hurt.  Keep up the g**d work. B.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »
Yes.  You like pcdoc4christ better than me!  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!    :'(

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 06:21:46 AM »
Yes.  You like pcdoc4christ better than me!  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!    :'(

If it is any consolation, i like your answer better than mine!

;D

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 06:22:11 AM »
HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM  was the correct answer.  Thanks.

URW

8-)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 02:17:18 PM »
If it is any consolation, i like your answer better than mine!
Gracious in victory.  I like it!  ;)