Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to access c partition after reinstall  (Read 2465 times)

Rupununi

unable to access c partition after reinstall
« on: June 26, 2006, 07:36:37 AM »
Good Day,  I was having problems with xp on The C partition, so I formatted the d side of the partition on the harddrive and reinstalled windows.  Now I am unable to gain access to the os on the c side of the partition inorder to transfer files.  Help please

homer

Expert
    Re: unable to access c partition after reinstall
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 05:11:45 PM »
    can u access it via "administrative tools"???

P.S. to get to administrative tools...

START>CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>STORAGE>DISK MANAGEMENT

Rupununi

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 07:17:42 AM »
    I have tried that and the c partition is intact with the operating system and such, but it is listed as healthy system, and the E partition is listed as healthy boot.  I am able to access most of the files except my personal documents which I think I may have marked as private therefore not allowing me to copy them.
    I have tried to reboot, gone into bios and told it to boot from the C partition which it refuses to do. :-/  Is there any known way of rebooting from the C partition with the xp cd?

RapedApe

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 09:04:25 AM »
    Could try editing the boot.ini file. Another thing you could try would be going into safe mode and trying to change the permissions on the files. If that doesn't work then you can cacls them.

Rupununi

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 09:11:57 AM »
     :D finally got the files I had backed up off the c partition to recover to where I wanted them, so NOW  then a good stick of TNT and format that C partition should do the trick.  Big thanks for the help from Guyana S.A.