Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook 2003: Contacts Question(s)  (Read 3467 times)

teegnamy

Microsoft Outlook 2003: Contacts Question(s)
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »
I have two current issues I could use a hand with in Outlook 2003.

1. Outlook automatically remembers e-mail addresses, even incorrect ones. How can I eliminate those from its "cache" so it won't remember incorrect e-mail addresses?

2. It seems like at some point, anyone I replied to was added to the "contacts" folder. After a reinstall, this does not occur. How can I set it back up?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Teeg
teegnamy [at] msn [dot] com

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Microsoft Outlook 2003: Contacts Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »
How would Outlook know whether email address is valid or not?

teegnamy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:39:22 PM »
Outlook doesn't know, but I do.

So -- once I determine that it is recalling a bad e-mail address, I want to be able to eliminate it from Outlook's "memory."

For example, my boss's name is Marc.

When I type the first two letters, "ma" in the "to" field, an incorrect e-mail address pops up as my first choice.

If I scroll down, I can find his correct e-mail address, plus about 6 other entries that start with "ma" who I have e-mailed at some point, and which outlook somehow recalls (but not via the contacts folder, apparently.)

I would like to eliminate the incorrect entry for his name, so I don't accidentally send to that.

If I go to "contacts," there are no entries for his name. I could manually create one, but I'd love it if the software created an entry for every person I replied to, it seems like it would make it easier to manage contacts that way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Teeg

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
For your first problem, >read this<.

In relation to your second problem, you may be thinking of an option in Outlook Express, not Outlook.  This is a direct quote from Outlook 2003's help pages: "In Outlook, there isn't an option to have contact information automatically added to Contacts or Address Book when you reply to them."
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 04:04:25 PM »
OK, so these addresses that popup when you type the first few letters of an email address are not in your Contacts, as I understand it.  They seem to be stored in a cache.  

I suggest you try this; even if it does not help, it may be a step in the process of eliminating possible causes.  Download CCleaner and run an Applications scan, being sure to include Office.  

EDIT: Ah, I see Rob just posted, and I suspect he has the solution.  Try his suggestion first.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 04:06:08 PM by soybean »

teegnamy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 05:07:55 PM »
Outstanding! Thanks for the help. Sometimes the solution to a problem is right in front of your face. I must've tried every other "simple" way to delete without pressing "delete." Thanks very much.

As for the "contacts," that's too bad - seems like cool functionality to me - but you're right, it may be that I used an earlier version of Outlook before, and have used OE in the past as well.

Sincere thanks for the assistance.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 05:23:23 PM »
CCleaner would probably also remove those email addresses but it would remove all of them.  It would also remove other cache stored items in Office apps such as the most recently opened files that appear when you have Word or Excel open and click on File.  

So, for selective removal, you've got the right technique now, from that Microsoft page.