Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: view folder names  (Read 3907 times)

carolS

view folder names
« on: September 14, 2004, 08:43:23 AM »
Some of my folder names in certain files went away in the thumbnail mode.  They show when I mouse-over, but not otherwise.   In other files, the folder names have remained visable in the thumbnail mode.  I have compared all the settings for those working and non-working and they appear to be identical.  I want my names visable again.  They are all on my HD.

Example: I have a file named Graphics with individual folders in it for Angels, bears, cats, dogs, etc.  These names (angels, bear, etc.) all show under the folders when I have the file open in thumbnail mode.   I also have a file named Webdogs with folders in it named Funny, Companion, etc.  One day in this Webdog file all the names were just gone from under them.  I have to do a mouseover to read what it is when in the thumbnail mode.

As I said, I compared all the settings and can find no differences.  HELP!!  I have as many as 40 folders in some of these files and this can really slow down work.

Raptor

Re: view folder names
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 09:43:53 AM »
Perhaps selecting a smaller icon size will allow Windows to show the entire filename without you having to hover your mouse over them?

carolS

Re: view folder names
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:54:39 PM »
I made new file folders with new names and copied and pasted the folders over from the old 'broke' ones. Took awhile as was over 20 gigs.  Anyway, the folder names were restored and they are back to normal. That still does not explain why they went away in the first place.    

If they vanish again I will try your suggestion.  Thanks.