Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing An OS  (Read 5072 times)

icordova

Installing An OS
« on: September 18, 2004, 09:01:58 AM »
Hey all, I ran into a problem.  I formatted a harddrive using GDisk which just wipes the entire harddrive.  I previously had Linux 9.0 and Windows 2000 Server (Eval).  I want to install W2k Pro but after the GDisk, the pc will not load any floppys or CD's.  It will keep saying that no OS is found.  But when I put the copy of XP home which came with my laptop, it went directly to setup.  Anyone got any advice or tools?  Thanks in advance

Raptor

Re: Installing An O
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »
You may need to use a Bootdisk. Obtain a Bootdisk at http://www.bootdisk.de.

Why not format again using the just the Format command? I donot think you require a tool to wipe your hard drive unless you have had files installed you want no one to retrieve..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 10:26:31 AM by Raptor »

icordova

Re: Installing An OS
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 11:48:15 AM »
I created a partition on the harddrive and also formatted.  There were additional utilities on the disk to do that.  But I still can;t get an OS to load on the disk, Same situation.  I can't load w2k but I can load XP.  I can not even get a dos prompt.  Every boot / start / creation disk I inserted into the floppy, I get a non-system disk error.  I put in a 98, 2000 boot up disks and also tried to install DOS but will not take it.  If I can get a dos prompt things will be easier.  The reason I did not format and fdisk is because the harddrive was used at school and we installed w2k server and linux on it.  When I put the hard drive into this machine, linux would load and Windows would freeze so I just decided to clean it all up.  

icordova

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 11:55:58 AM »
does the MBR get installed by the OS or does it always have to be present on the harddrive?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 12:23:03 PM »
You will have to set your Floppy Disk Drive as the first boot device in your BIOS.

Why can you not simply format your Hard Disk Drive? Why do you require the use of a tool?

As for your MBR question, this may provide you with the answer you are looking for: MBR - Master Boot Record
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 12:24:46 PM by Raptor »

icordova

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:26:47 PM »
I did set the Boot sequence to floppy first when I tried to boot from floppy and vice versa with CD.  I am just going through the steps one more time to make sure.  What format am I suppose to use if I can't even get a DOS prompt?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 12:27:46 PM by icordova »

merlin_2

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 01:50:52 PM »
Have you tried different Bootdisks? Perhaps the one you are currently using is flawed.