Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive backup  (Read 2002 times)

mtgtwenty

hard drive backup
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:36:36 PM »
is it possible to backup an entire laptop hard drive via usb to another hard drive including operating system? via usb. will the new drive have everything including complete os. will it now boot the laptop if installed in its hard drive bay? thanks for help

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: hard drive backup
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:22 AM »
You can use a program such as Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost to make an image of the HDD.
This will include everything on the current HDD.
It is often used when changing the hard disk, or to make a backup in case the drive fails.
Is that what you're looking for?

mtgtwenty

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:35:17 PM »
yes I want to install a new hard drive but thought windows might have something inbeded in xp that would prevent copying the whole drive including the operating system. would I need a usb drive connector or perhaps an ultra bay connector for a hard drive. I have an Ibm with a pentium 3 .running windows xp pro
thanks for your input

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:18:25 PM »
You cannot do what you want with WIndows by itself. You will need a ghosting problem as mentioned. It sounded like you misunderstood that part.

mtgtwenty

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »
no I realize I will need a program such as you mentioned but was wondering if those ghost programs require additional hardware.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 03:20:51 AM »
No additional hardware.  ;)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:45:55 AM »
Other than the drive you want to back up and the drive (if a different drive) that you want to back it up to.