Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: continuous bip  (Read 3425 times)

shouvik

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Computer Hope - Always For Your Help
    continuous bip
    « on: May 04, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
    For past 3 or 4 days, my PC (win 98) is making continuous sound (bip) while starting. Say, 20-30 continuous bip. After windows is loaded completely it is becoming normal.

I checked if any cable wire connection is loosened, but not found anything like that.

Why it is happening?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: continuous bip
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »
    If it is an older machine it may be the MBoard telling you that the CMOS battery is failing...part # CR2032 about 5 bucks available anywhere.

It's about the size of a small coin and is located on the motherboard.

Unplug everything before replacing it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shouvik

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:05:09 PM »
      Ok. Thank you.

What if i not replace it. Will it cause further harm?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 09:12:30 PM »
      I'm assuming bip is a "beep". If that's the case a continuous beep could be any number of things. I would actually first look at the keyboard/mouse and/or controller before going for the CMOS battery.  Try disconnecting the keyboard and mouse from the computer and turn it on. If no beep occurs it's likely an issue with the keyboard, try replacing it.

If the beep still occurs after disconnecting the keyboard and mouse it's possible it could be a CMOS setting causing the issue, connect the keyboard back into the computer and enter CMOS setup and try restoring the default settings.

Information about getting into CMOS:
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

If issues still occur you may want to try replacing it as patio suggested above. However, it's also very likely a keyboard controller on the motherboard. If the CMOS battery does not resolve the issue unfortunately you'd need to replace the motherboard to fix the issue.

Usually beep codes are several beeps and not a continuous beep (beep more than 3 sec). However, additional information about beep codes can be found on the below page.
      http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

If nothing is done I wouldn't imagine it would cause any harm to your computer other than possibly not being able to keep time if the issue is really a CMOS battery.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

shouvik

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 11:46:51 PM »
        Thanks Admin. I unlocked both mouse and keyboard cables and then the bip was not occuring. So it looks like keybd issue.

Thanks for that helpful guidance.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Computer Hope
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 12:16:26 AM »
        Glad to hear that helped. Thanks for the follow up.
        Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
        -Albert Einstein