Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfer Win2000 user settings to XP Pro upgrade  (Read 2686 times)

rburton

Transfer Win2000 user settings to XP Pro upgrade
« on: July 21, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »
Hello,

I have upgraded my windows 2000 to Win XP Pro as a new installation. As it said during the installation that the data is kept and there is an option in the System Programs to transfer the desktop and user settings across, I didnt worry about this. But afterwards I found out that this tool is only useful when transfering the files over to another PC, but not to the same PC as I have done!

But now Windows XP has loaded fresh and my desktop, programs and emails are all gone. I can find the desktop still in the C:\Documents and Settings\... folder and the emails and programs will also still be on the harddisk. Is there a way of knowing where the XP user account names are saved and transfer my Win2000 settings accross?

Or how else can I get my Email account, Programs and desktop back to the same state I had it in Windows 2000 before the installation? I thought Windows XP was capable of doing this automatically...... and that it is more user friendly and secures data better - at least thats what it said on the installation!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Transfer Win2000 user settings to XP Pro upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 06:28:11 PM »
Did you try the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rburton

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 03:31:53 AM »
Yes I think so..... this is probably what I already described above in the Accessories folder (System Programs)? I have the german version, so I dont know the exact translation.

But when I start that, it gives me the option of selecting either transfer to "Target PC" or "Source PC". But I am not wanting to transfer this information to a 2nd PC, only within my 1 PC.

Is this something different you are talking about that I can download as freeware?

URGENT - Any replies will be appreciated !!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 07:33:19 AM »
Travel Here

See the section on migrating to a fresh install of XP.....good news yes it can be done.

rburton

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:07:43 AM »

Thanks for your help. When I select the previous W2k setup upon startup, the following error message occurs:

Windows could not start, because the following file is missing or damaged:
\Windows\System32\Config\System

I tried the Recovery Consol (Wiederherstellungs-Konsol) and emergency repair. There was no error message and it seemed to have done it, but the same error message appears as above (no improvement).

So I only seem to be able to start in Windows XP mode. Once in windows, I see all the files i need though in the explorer directory.

Is there a way to deinstall Windows XP Pro, seeing as I had installed it on a second partition (D:)? The windows 2000 directory is still on C:, so maybe once uninstalling WinXP it would work with windows 2000 to be able to get the files ready for transfer?

brad1011

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »
Are the settings from 2000 compatible with xp?
i heard that the accounts are alot more customizable in 2000, where as in xp, all you get is administrative and limited status.

rburton

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 10:16:45 AM »
Probably not, because after having no success on the repair tool I tried to reinstall windows 2000 fresh but saw that there was a third repair option - but once I did that and got a lot further, it crashed when looking for device components (Bad_Pool_caller).

Anyhow, in the meantime I installed XP properly on another pc. But the "Files and Settings transfer Wizzard" isnt really good at all - it hardly moves anything over except for a few settings. What about all my programs???

rburton

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
Pathetic.... it seems like XP pro isnt able to be installed with all the previous W2k settings. All my programs will be lost and need to be reinstalled! I thought that because it is on the same NT file system, it shouldnt be a problem! (not like Win98 where I can understand that the FAT file system was different)

Only the emails and desktop can be more or less transfered.... what a bugger!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 12:54:11 PM »
Programs always need to be re-installed no matter what OS is involved...it's been this way since Win98.

rburton

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 01:02:30 PM »
Thanks for having confirmed that and for your time and efforts, patio..... cheers. Cya