Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2  (Read 7596 times)

compEngineer0

Windows XP Service Pack 2
« on: January 20, 2005, 05:11:20 PM »
I just finished building my new system and installing windows, etc. But when I install SP2, windows fails to load. It shows the windows xp loading icon, but then just clicks off. What's the problem? Here is my system:

ASUS A7N8XE-Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Atholon XP 3200+ Processor
512 MB DDR

Thanks for any help and let me know if you need more info.

KRushin

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 05:31:07 PM »
A. Contact Microsoft (look under Faq 2)
B. Dont use SP2, None of my friends use service pack 2 because they say it cause more problems then it solves

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 05:37:04 PM »
    David K......After you loaded Win Xp ....did you go to M/S update site and D/l the necassary updates to enable you to install SP2 ...and are you installing it from a cd or the M/S update site ?
    BTW ...SP2 doesnt mess up your system , in fact a lot of people claim their pc run faster than without it .

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 06:24:03 PM »
    KRushin... Will all due respect, your friends do not sound like computer literate people..... That is a BASIC point-of-view, for people to think that SP2 is "bad", when all they know is personal experience. Please, do your homework before you open your mouth. Now, back to the issue.... When you (David) said that you "disabled" your internet, do you think that this might be causing your problem? I think that you MIGHT have shut-off your inernet connection accidently, when you were just trying to disable your wireless card.... Try enabling your internet again... Let us know what's up...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

compEngineer0

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 06:45:39 AM »
    First off, I've heard a mix about SP2, overall I've heard it's good, but you just have to play with it to get it to work right. Second, I installed all the updates prior to SP2 such as SP1 and other such updates. Finally, I'm not sure what you are talking about. I didn't disable my internet and I don't have a wireless card. I've reinstalled windows etc and all the updates up to but not including SP2 so far so good. Now I'm just waiting until I figure out why SP2 goofed up before I install it. Thanks for any and all help.

Joleen

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 07:24:45 AM »
    We don't let people in the office install SP2 nor have I done it at home.  At the risk of being flamed (pun intended), I don't like SP2 nor do I trust it to solve issues.

compEngineer0

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 & ATI now
    « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 10:06:40 AM »
    Now I'm having massive problems with my video card (I'm assuming). My display keeps freezing, giving black screens, and or generating VPU recovery errors (infinite loops I think). I've tried the stuff on ATI's website, but no help. my display drivers are updated, but i dont' have sp2 (which might effect that). The errors occur very often and are not dependent on what I'm doing. They occur when i'm surfing the net, using wordpad, or even doing nothing. Not sure how to go about fixing this one. any and all help is much appreciated, thanks.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 10:16:19 AM »
    WinXP-SP2 is intended to provide some level of protection to the majority of Windows users who know nothing (and care nothing) about Windows security, i.e. virus's, spyware, trojans, etc.  Is it the final solution to all Windows security gaps?  NO.  It's better than nothing at all.

It does a pretty good job, I've had no problems at all with SP2.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 01:22:16 PM »
      David K.......It sounds to me as if you have some other issue going on in your pc and ...that your blaming it on SP2 (Maybe) if you dont have SP2 installed , how on earth could it be causing problems with your word pad , your ability to surf the net . Try and answer these questions for us.
      1 .....is your "legal" cd of Win XP a OEM or retail version
      2.....Were you attempting to install SP2 from a CD provided ( free of charge) by M/S or a D/L CD or simply a D/l from the M/S update page
      3.....Is your copy of Win XP a pirated copy

Back to your issues .....you refer to infinite looping ......that suggests to me that possibly you have
      may have a trojan or hijacker at work ......Did you install and update your anti virus .......as soon as you installed XP and then went on line or did you do that later ?

Does SP2 correct all the security issues M/S has......no but it has added features to offer the user more protection than they preiously had.........
      I have been using it since its release on several machines with no problems at all .

Get back to us with the answers to the questions .

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 01:23:56 PM »
        A. Contact Microsoft (look under Faq 2)
        B. Dont use SP2, None of my friends use service pack 2 because they say it cause more problems then it solves

Perhaps you could let us know about all the problems that your friends say SP2 causes ....so we can be on the lookout for them .

dl65 ::)

compEngineer0

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 05:49:32 PM »
        I'm not blaming sp2, in fact i am trying to get sp2, but it isnt' cooperating with my pc. it just said on ati's website though that they recommend sp2 with the new driver updates for the all-in-wonder 9600 graphics card. the problem is seemingly related to the graphics card b/c anytime i do anything, the screen either goes black or freaks out. my copy of win xp is legal, i got a license and download for it from my school, i burned it to cd and use that to install. sp2 i tryed to get from win update online. i installed all the previous updates (sp1, etc) and then sp2, but then i could no longer log into windows. it would get to the loading screen, reboot, and ask if i wanted safe mode, etc b/c of an error loading. i did not install antivirus right away, but i don't know how i could have gotten a virus all ready. i have it on now (i'm using avg free edition), but i can't scan the comp long enough without generating a video card error (the screen screws up or loses signal). i'm just stuck now and not really sure what to do. thanks for any help and let me know if you need more info.

compEngineer0

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 07:12:33 PM »
        I just installed spybot and avg free edition and now my comp won't log into windows at all with out all video crapping out on me. it shows the loading deal, but then video clicks off and monitor led just blinks... i booted up in safe mode, ran avg and spybot and found the virus Exploit.MS04-011, removed it and rebooted, but still no windows. any ideas to get my computer working would be much appreciated.

compEngineer0

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »
        I re-formatted my hard drive, re-installed all the drivers (except for display drivers), and ran windows update until i had all updates except for sp2. my computer seems to be stable, and i haven't really had any problems. my comp is virus free, but i'm afraid to install my video drivers b/c i have a feeling that's when all the previous problems will return and i'm not sure how to counter this. any ideas?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 02:48:27 PM »
          David K......So are you not able to get SP2 ? .......or have you decided against it ?

let us know

compEngineer0

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 04:13:53 PM »
          I can download and install sp2, but then when i restart my computer as recommended, it goes to the win xp loading screen and then the whole system just restarts itself and won't load windows. i can't even boot through safe mode.