Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help on Sharing a printer wirelessly  (Read 2707 times)

currysteph

Topic Starter

Need help on Sharing a printer wirelessly
    « on: July 09, 2008, 04:52:26 AM »
    Here's what I have.

Wireless Modem (SAGEM F@st Livebox 3202)...basically a wireless modem

Dell laptop (Vista 32 Ultimate)...connects wirelessly on its own to above modem
    HP Laptop (XP Home SP3)...connects wirelessly on its own to above modem

Printer Epson Stylus Inkjet D68..connected to the HP laptop

Can anyone give me a step by step setup on how to share the printer?
    Obviously the HP can print from it but not the Dell.  Not sure where to begin or what bases to cover.

thanks for any help or directions

Steph

hmar

Beginner

Re: Need help on Sharing a printer wirelessly
      « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
      Start on the HP. Go into your printer settings (start > Printers and faxes  OR Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes) and locate your printer. Right click on the icon and choose properties. Click the sharing tab. Choose Share this Printer. If it is just the 2 computers on the network, choose to let everyone access. Click ok.
      Now, if the CD that came with the printer has Vista drivers, put it into the Dell Computer. run the setup program, and follow the prompts to install a network Printer. You should be able to browse the network for your HP computer. If you don't have the CD, or it does not have Vista drivers, Go to Epson's website tp get it.

currysteph

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:19:24 AM »
        thank hmar...yea ive told the xp system to share the printer...but i think i do not have my network setup.  I basically need to know what to do on the HP machine...then what to do on the DELL vista machine and what if anything with the modem since both machines connect to it wirelessly but not to each other.

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »
          I am assuming that the wireless modem is working as a router as well as a modem. The 2 computers should communicate just fine through the router. If you can get to the internet, you should be able to share files and printers between the computers, as well. Check to make sure that any firewalls on the computers are set to allow file and printer sharing. Verify that the computers can see each other in network places, and then you should be able to share the printer with my earlier advice. Make sure that the HP is on before trying to connect or use the printer.