Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Typing/Word Processing Problem  (Read 3813 times)

gnoobl

Typing/Word Processing Problem
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:06:05 PM »
Hi,

I recently bought a secondhand laptop from a friend and am currently running windows Xp. When typing in a program such as Microsoft Word the cursor moves throughout the page -  meaning I am constantly typing letters/words into areas that I have already finished. It quite often deletes previously typed information and sometimes jumps into other opened windows/programs, which is very frustrating.

I also have the same problem when typing in other programs and using the internet to type into cells, URL's or search terms.

I am new to XP (always used Windows 98) so if anyone can enlighten me on why this keeps occuring it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 08:15:49 PM by gnoobl »

gussery

Re: Typing/Word Processing Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »
Sounds like you are inadvertantly moving the mouse by brushing against the touchpad.  At least that is where I would start, assuming it has a touchpad.  You may also want to test disabling the touchpad and using a regular mouse to see if the problem goes away.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 12:42:20 PM »
You are IN LUCK! I had this problem, and know howto fix it! What is happening, is that one of your drivers for your touchpad are missing or corrupted... What I want you to do is this... Look for the recovery CDs that your computer manufacturer supplied you with, and tell me the names or lables on each of them... I will then tell you with CD to use...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 01:09:34 PM »
control panel ..........mouse/pointer settings??

gnoobl

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 04:44:05 PM »
Thankyou for the replies.

Unfortunately I do not have any recovery cd's and my friend is not sure where they are. If you know of any other way around it I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 04:53:55 PM »
Contact your computer manufacturer for new recovery CDs, or for the driver(s)...

[glb]Flame[/glb]