Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer hard drives  (Read 3454 times)

tabatha_magic

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Computer hard drives
    « on: September 19, 2008, 07:56:43 AM »
    Hi Everyone,

Computer 1) is a Aspire AMD Sempron Processor 3000+  1.81Ghz, 192MB Ram
    with windows XP home edition.

Question 1)

Can anyone tell me if I can take the hard drive from one computer and put it into another computer.

I purchased another computer and a new hard drive 320Gb
    I installed xp pro (everything fine) I then installed XP pro SP2. Now the resolution is terrible. I have tried fixing it and am unable to do anything with it.
    When the computer boots up a message Display settings---Your computer's screen resolution and colour depth are currently set to a very low level. You can get a better picture by increasing these settings, to do this click this balloon.
    I have done that...............Then it asks do you want windows to automatically correct your screen resolution and colour depth settings? I click yes (nothing happens)
    When I go into display properties settings.......Screen resolution is on 640 by 480 pixels and colour quality is lowest (4 bit) You can't change anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This computer is: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz - 1.79 GHz, 120MB of RAM

I have tried to also install bigpond on this computer, all i get is a grey/black screen, so unable to install.

I not a computer whiz, know a little but obvisiously not enough, any help greatly appreciated.
    I'm trying to set one computer up just for the internet and the other for general use.
    Problem with computer one is it is running so slow........... :-\

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer hard drives
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »
    You cannot simply move an XP drive from one machine to the next and expect it to boot properly...this is by design.
    Do you have a video card in this machine ? ?
    If so re-install the drivers.
    If it is onboard video (no card) re-install all your MBoard drivers and re-boot.
    Then re-set the settings accordingly.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tabatha_magic

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
      Hi,

I had to re format the drive.
      I didn't install windows xp pro SP2 and the resolution is fine, which is what happened before.
      As soon as I installed SP2 resolution shot to pcs so am leaving as is.

I don't intend on connecting this comp to the net or emailing from it.

Many thanks for your help
      Tabby  :-*

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »
      I've never seen SP2 wonk out the video settings on a machine...
      You may not have needed to format had you try the suggestions but i'm glad you got it running.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "