Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Link laptop to desktop to share WiFi  (Read 4357 times)

Dead_reckon

Link laptop to desktop to share WiFi
« on: September 22, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
Is there any way to use my laptop so that I can route the wireless internet from it into my desktop so I can play online games and such? My desktop has no wireless card, and I currently only have my bro's WiFi to rely on. So I'd like to know if its somehow possible to maybe "Bridge" the connection between my laptop and desktop. Maybe through cat5 or a crossover cable?

I'll admit, I know little about networking, so thanks for any advice.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Link laptop to desktop to share WiFi
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »
if your laptop can have both Wifi and ethernet enabled at the same time, you should be able to use a cat5 cable between the laptop and desktop- you would then need to add a new network bridge between the two network connections (my network places, Show Network connections).

I've gotten it two work with two desktop computers- the bridge was running windows 2000 though.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »
I've tried that, all it did was make my WiFi continually disconnect, and the Ethernet always said limited or no connectivity

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »
    I would use either a wireless router or ethernet switch or you can get a wireless usb adapter for the desktop. you can use the crossover cable but you can't use wireless and cable at the same time you have to use one or the other.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »
    Yeah, I was considering a USB wireless card, and an internal one. Don't have the money right now, flat broke. My only other wireless card is in the Dell GX60 downstairs until my grandma realizes the importance of a computer and buys her own wireless card. That... Might just take a while though...