Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Notification of low ink - Epson printer & Vista  (Read 2896 times)

deedoll

Topic Starter

Starter

Notification of low ink - Epson printer & Vista
    « on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
    I have recently changed from XP to Vista and am using the same printer - Epson Stylus DX3800.   With XP, when I used printer, I received notification if one of the ink cartridges was low/needed replaced.  This isn't happening with Vista - all I have is flashing light on printer.  This only tells me that ONE of the inks needs replacing, but not which one.  So I had to replace all four to continue printing.  Anyone know how to get this info on Vista?  Many thanks

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Notification of low ink - Epson printer & Vista
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »
    From what I have found about that printer on the Epson website it doesn't look to be compatible with Vista so that feature just might not work with it.

Instead of buying all new printer cartridges when the light flashes try printing a few test pages to see what color is low.

Print 1 page in black, 1 page in Cyan, 1 page in magenta, 1 page in yellow and the one that doesn't come out right is probably the one that needs replaced. Plus I never change my cartridges when the printer tells me to I wait until the colors aren't actually printing any more then replace them. I do this because I have had my printer tell me to change cartridges and it still print perfectly fine for about two weeks more with heavey color printing.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

deedoll

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »
      Thanks for your reply.  I don't change the ink right away either - that was where the notification was handy, cos you knew which was getting low, but there was always plenty to carry on for several docs. Thing is, if one runs out, the printer won't print anything at all till it is replaced. If you don't know which one, you have to do them all. I will try your idea of printing test pages.  All I have been able to come up with so far is noting the date that all four were replaced, to try and get a pattern for replacing - but I am sure I will waste good cartridges replacing them too early!  Luckily I get them very cheap!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:58:24 AM »

deedoll

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:09:04 PM »
        Thanks for the info and the link.  Hope it helps - its a little thing but I miss it a lot!
        Cheers

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »
        Let us know.

deedoll

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:44 AM »
          Yea - it worked!  Thanks so much - I have my ink status info back on screen. 
          Many thanks for your help.

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »
          Glad it worked. I guess I should have spent a little more time finding the answer I guess that is why Broni is the "The Man"
          You can't fix Stupid!!!

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »
          LOL....I'm glad to see it fixed :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »
            deedoll,As you have correctly noted with Epson printers when you are out of ink in one cartridge it makes the printer unusable until that cartridge is dealt with.This is a practice of the manufacturer to make their money as the printers are basically free.Epson is one of the most restrictive on their printers to permit use when cartridges indicate being out of ink.However there are a variety of solutions to this that do not necessarily involve replacing cartridges (particularly with Epson brand cartridges). If you would like to learn how to overcome this by other means than replacing cartridges it would be my pleasure to advise you.truenorth