Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Growls  (Read 8838 times)

Michaela

Re: Computer Growls
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 01:33:02 PM »
I had originally removed the hard drive as I thought that was what was making the growling noises.  

No, I didn't remove the heat sink.  

The error I'm getting is "please insert a valid system disk".  

Michaela

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 08:14:55 PM »
Well, I've finally gotten it to recognize the hard drive.  Strange thing is, it won't recognize it unless the CD ROM is also connected.  Anyway, the problem is now that it will only boot to safe mode.  Hard drive works fine in another computer.  Any ideas what it could be now?  Thanks for any assistance provided.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 08:50:10 PM »
Jumper settings on hard drive may be configured to require CDROM to be connected.  If hard drive has jumper set to Slave and there is no Master, it won't be seen.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000415.htm
See sections about jumpers and cables.

What version of Windows?

Michaela

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 06:58:48 PM »
I checked the BIOS settings and the Hard Drive is the Master and the CDROM is the Slave.  

I guess that doesn't really matter any more as the growling returned.  If I stop the processor fan, the growling stops.  I believe that the motherboard and/or processor are just shot.

Michaela

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 07:00:09 PM »
Also, it's got Windows 98se on the hard drive.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 08:11:52 AM »
...If I stop the processor fan, the growling stops.  I believe that the motherboard and/or processor are just shot.

Your belief is wrong.  It's only the fan.  Buy a new fan.

Michaela

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »
While it may be just the fan causing the growling, that doesn't have much to do with the fact that the system won't boot.  The HD is fine as it boots in another computer.  In this system, it will only boot to Safe Mode.  When I attempt to force it to boot to Normal Mode, I just get a blank black screen (no cursor or anything).  Wouldn't that indicate that the MB has additional issues?

merlin_2

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 05:05:51 PM »
How many drives have you got?? your psu........power supply  fan maybe the cause of the growling....are you trying to boot with two hardrives....more info on system,ram etc......ibm what? more info>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000597.htm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 05:08:59 PM by merlin_2 »

Michaela

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 02:40:43 AM »
It's an IBM system.  I think right now it's only got 128 ram.  But it had 256 before.  Only one HD.  I determined that the fan on the processor was causing the growling.  But the darn thing just refuses to boot normally.  When powered on, the system goes to the menu of choices to boot (safe mode, normal mode, etc).  But Normal Mode doesn't work (just gives blank screen without a cursor).  Safe Mode actually says "Safe Mode" in the corners so I know that it's really safe mode.