Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have a corrupt file on my computer! <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.  (Read 14896 times)

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    I have a Gateway desktop computer.
    I purchased it in 2005.
    Windows XP Home Edition was already installed on my computer,so it didn't come with any recovery or Windows disc.

I purchased my computer from Blue Hippo.(I know,big mistake.) I called Gateway about getting a Windows CD or a recovery disc,but they told me that I had to contact Blue Hippo. Blue Hippo said that they couldn't help me!

Some kind of way,Windows Movie Maker was deleted off of my computer. I tried to use this "bright idea" to reinstall Windows. ask-leo.com/i_dont_have_an_installation_cd_for_windows_xp_what_if_i_need_one.html

It was installing until around the end of the installation. A black screen showed up saying: Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt. <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I tried to run software like games,my software for my webcam,but nothing works. How can I fix this problem? I tried re-installing the hal.dll file back onto the computer,but no such luck. What I did was copy it from my other computer. Can I buy the Windows XP Home Edition software from Best Buy or something? People tell me that Microsoft asks for a code now. I hate to buy it,but then it won't read the CD! All I need is the one file to fix Windows. I can't do anything without that file. Any help will be appreciated.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    If you have Windows CD...(if you don't have Windows CD, scroll down)

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
    2. Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
    You’re going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console:

3. After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number “1″).
    Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
    If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
    You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair your problem..
    I will introduce them here, and then show the results graphically in the next six steps.
    NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
    These commands are as follows:

CD..
    ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
    ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
    ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
    del boot.ini
    BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
    BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which searches for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
    It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
    A.) Every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT as OS Load Option when the rebuild process is finalizing.
    B.) If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intel’s XD or AMD’s NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option.
    For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
    If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
    Here is your computer screen:

5. Following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, it’s still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, in that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit:

CHKDSK /R

6. This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit “Y”, then Enter to confirm your decision:

FIXBOOT

7. It’s time to reboot your PC by typing
    EXIT 
    and pressing Enter.

With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows XP as if your various DLL, Hive, EXE and NTLDR errors never existed.

If you don't have Windows CD...
    Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
    Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
    Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
    Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
    When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Then, follow instructions from Step #3 above.

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

I tried that,but I have to buy some CD-RW discs. I will let you know the outcome from it. Thanks for your reply.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      CD-R will be better, than CD-RW.

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

The thing is, I do have some CD-R disc. but they have things on them. so when I was using Imgburn to erase the files off of one of the disc, an error message appeared saying that the files couldn't be deleted. Before and after I tried to delete the files on the disc, I tried to burn the rc.iso file to the disc, but no matter what, the "write" button under the write mode wouldn't highlight, and I wasn't able to burn the file to the disc. I even went to http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=ed159dd7ae3c884a80317b69cc1ab8e4&showtopic=61 for help(the link tells you how to burn files onto a disc). What should I do now? Also, when erasing the disc, regardless of which option you choose for erasing the disc, CD-R is not one of the options for what format the disc is. that's why I mentioned CD-RW disc.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        You can't erase CD-R. You need a blank one.

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

So I just need to get a blank CD-R disc?

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          That's it.

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

Thanks so much for your help on this. I have been trying to get answers about this for two weeks now! I will let you know how it turns out for me.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            Be aware, there is no guarantee, these steps will solve your problem, because "hal" error is pretty nasty one - it may be caused by various factors (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm), but it's a good place to start.

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

Ok. Thanks. I really hope this works,because I really don't want to pay a lot of money to get it repaired!

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              We won't know until we try something :)

wartosa

Starter

Thanks very much for all the info, Broni.

I have followed your instructions (burning the file to a disc, etc, then back to Step 3) and have reached the point where I have to enter the administrator password. I'm the only user of the laptop (a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ2M) and the only password I know of is the one I type in when the XP is booting up. But it doesn't work in this. It gives me 3 tries, then I have to go through the loading up again, and 3 wrong tries again, same thing.

Is the password it's asking for the one I put in when the computer is emerging from hibernation or booting up after being shut down? Or is it something else?

Thanks for your help... I'm hoping I can re-awaken my laptop without losing what's on its hard drives...

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                Unfortunately, that recovery console password situation happens, even, if the password was never set.

Disabling can be done only from within Windows:

Go Start>Run
                Type in:
                regedit
                Click OK.
                Navigate to:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
                Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
                Restart computer.

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

The only thing is that I can't even get to the start menu. People have been telling me that the best thing to do is to buy a new Windows XP Home Edition CD. That way I will have a brand new product key number. I heard that I can't use someone else CD.

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  To reinstall Windows?

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

The only thing that shows up on my monitor is the Gateway Logo and the corrupt file message that has a black background. I can't go to RUN Start,anything!

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

As soon as I can get a CD,I will try that. Thanks..

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      Keep us posted :)

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

I will. People on here are very helpful.

wartosa

Starter

Thanks again. So far, here's my feedback:

Password: I just hit ENTER, didn't put one in, and it worked.

A small error in your instructions, at least for me: There's a space needed between CD and .. in your instructions.

Now at [1]: Add installation...

More later, thanks again...

wartosa

Starter

Broni: THANK YOU!!! I'm back in. Perfect! You're fabulous, thank you so much for taking the time to give us such clear instructions. I just needed to take out the disc before letting it reboot again for it to work. Then it gave me two choices of Windows XP Home Edition to select, the 2nd one (which I tried first) said it was still missing a file, I went back and clicked on the first one and I'm now staring at my screensaver and all my files.

THANKS AGAIN!  ;D

Broni

Mastermind
                              • Computer Help Forum
                            Nice job :)
                            I'm glad, you're back in business :)