Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: write protecting portable HDD  (Read 2160 times)

joyanto

write protecting portable HDD
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »
I have a 40Gb portable HDD with necessary software’s in it , problem  is every time I connect it to various computers , there is always a risk of getting infected ( that means again I have to format and reload the software’s at home )
Is there any solution where data transfer is one way , that means chances of getting infected is NILL, same time, I also have the control – copy to my  portable HDD if I want to …….

thanks for ur time reading this, ur valuble suggestion is welecome..

regards

joyanto

truenorth

Guru

Re: write protecting portable HDD
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
    joyanto,Others may have more to say. However to the best of my knowledge the only way to achieve nasties protection on a "foreign" computer is if that computer has the software protection (with all the great multitudes of negative possibilities that that also entails--like update and quality status of that protection on the "foreign" computer). There must be an associated primary HDD (which your portable isn't) and the primary drive must contain the anti virus,etc program. You can only assure some protection if when you return the portable to your computer you run the scans.However as you undoubtedly are aware that could be too late. Wish i could advise otherwise.truenorth

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:07:49 PM »
    There does need to be some two way communication, else the computer into which you plug the portable drive won't recognize it.

Now, there may be some utilities out there of which I am not aware which will help with the situation.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:58 AM »
    You could give USB WriteProtector a try, although I'm sceptical about the program myself...  Alternatively, why not use a set of DVD-Rs?
    « Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:09:11 PM by Rob Pomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
    Alternatively, why not use a set of DVD-Rs?

An elegant suggestion! 

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"