Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to use alias in the shell?  (Read 5177 times)

subash

how to use alias in the shell?
« on: June 04, 2005, 11:35:57 AM »
Hi,
i wanted to run a program in either windows command line or linux command line. It tell first to alias the name if the file as :
Avrora is based on a command-line interface. To invoke Avrora, you need only run the java command and use the -jar option to specify the location of the Avrora JAR file. Running avrora with no options will print out the built-in help. You should make an alias to avrora such as:
% alias avrora='java -jar avrora-beta-1.4.0.jar'

Getting Started with Avrora
Trying out Avrora is quick and easy for any platform! See the steps below for steps to get started with the basic capabilities of Avrora.

Step 0: Get Java!
Avrora is implemented in Java, and therefore it requires that you have a functional Java Virtual Machine installed. Once the JVM is installed and you are able to run java at the command line, you're ready to continue to the next step.
Freely available Java Virtual Machine implementations are available from both Sun Microsystems and IBM.

See http://java.sun.com to download the Sun Java implementation for your platform.
Avrora is not dependent on the particular Java implementation that you choose.

Step 1: Download the JAR Archive
The Java platform allows applications to be bundled into compressed archives called JARs that require minimal effort to download and use. Applications can be run directly from a JAR file, requiring no compilation, installation, or configuration steps. The first step to trying out Avrora is to download the latest JAR archive release. Simply save the JAR file to your disk, and you are ready to run.

Step 2: Format Your Program Appropriately
Avrora supports three types of program formats:
The Atmel assembler syntax. Files that end with the .asm extension are assumed to be in this format. Files in this format can be loaded directly by Avrora.
The GNU assembler (GAS) syntax. Files that end with the .s extension are assumed to be in this format.
The output of the avr-objdump utility. Files that end with the .od extension are assumed to be in this format. Avrora cannot directly load ELF or SREC images, therefore binary programs in those formats must be converted to a textual format with avr-objdump. For more information, see the page on objdump.
Here are a couple of example programs that can you download and try out:

simple.c -- very simple C program source.
simple.od -- C program converted to objdump format.
blink.od -- a TinyOS program compiled to the ELF format and disassembled with avr-objdump.

Step 3: Running Avrora
Avrora is based on a command-line interface. To invoke Avrora, you need only run the java command and use the -jar option to specify the location of the Avrora JAR file. Running avrora with no options will print out the built-in help. You should make an alias to avrora such as:
% alias avrora='java -jar avrora-beta-1.4.0.jar'

Now, let's use Avrora to execute one of the example programs. Download simple.od and execute it on Avrora.
% avrora  simple.od

so the question is I down loaded the simple.od but wnever i type alias in windows or linux command line , it says that alias is not a valid command. How can i use alias as mentioned above. I don't know how to use it. Can anyone help? :-[

hywaydave

Re: how to use alias in the shell?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 11:48:56 AM »
What linux distro are you using?  You seem to be using the alias command correctly?

alias [name=['command']]

- name Specifies the alias name.
- command Specifies the command the name should be an alias for.

If you type in just the command alias, do you see your new alias you created in the list?  If you need addtional assistance, you can reach me at ResourcePC.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 11:51:10 AM by hywaydave »