Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remote Connection with support for external display  (Read 3980 times)

joechonk

Remote Connection with support for external display
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:05 AM »
I am instructing a class and due to the setup of the classroom, am not able to physically be on the computer which is attached to a projector for PowerPoint slideshows.  Right now it is setup where a student is sitting at the computer which is hooked to the projector.  I have him/her open the slideshow and then I use my projector remote to change slides.  The problem is that I now need to be able to get on that computer to show them stuff on the computer itself and routers/switches which I am consoled into (this is a networking class).  I do not want to kick the student out of their chair for a few hours while I sit on their computer to do demonstrations on the projector.

The best solution to this problem I have come up with is to use a remote desktop connection to control the PC connected to the projector.  I will then sit at my desk with my computer and do all demonstrations from there, while still having it display through the projector.  I used Windows Remote Desktop Connection to try this.  The connection worked fine and I had control of the PC; however, the image did not come out on the projector because it was being sent to the remote PC.  This is obviously because although I am using the OS and software on the projector PC, I am still using the remote PCs hardware.  Windows Remote Desktop Connection has an option to output sound from the PC being connected to; however, they don't have this option for video.  Does anyone know of any remote connection programs out there where I can use the external display from the computer I am connecting to to display the output when I am remotely connected?

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Remote Connection with support for external display
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »
I am not sure I understand what trouble you are having with Windows Remote Desktop (I do not have experience with it or projectors) but I use TeamViewer (free) to control computers remotely.

The remote computer's screen will still display normally while you are connected to it with TeamViewer.  TeamViewer also has the option to send your local screen to the remote computer as a presentation.

I hope this helps.
Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.