Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sparks fly when plugging in usb cable  (Read 4860 times)

Brian Torok

sparks fly when plugging in usb cable
« on: July 04, 2004, 03:39:19 PM »
WHen I try to plug my printer into the usb port of computer, or vice versa, I get sparks and a surge. What could cause this? Too many pluged in items?

Raptor

Re: sparks fly when plugging in usb cable
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 04:24:54 PM »
I donot know what could cause this, perhaps you are not mounting the cable correctly or perhaps the cable is damaged, however, I suggest you quit using your USB port(s) until you have more information concerning this.. Phenonema.

merlin

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 05:17:38 PM »
this does happen after all you are pluging in a usb into a live port i would not be to concerned  about this ..no doubt this happens when your printer is live too?sparks fly when connecting a ht plug lead to  a spark plug...does the  printer work ok?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 05:18:54 PM by merlin »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 04:52:48 AM »
no doubt this happens when your printer is live too?

You are not supposed to mount any cables other than USB when the computer power is on. Unless the printer is an exception?

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 09:17:22 PM »
If you're getting sparks when plugging in a USB cable, you've got something seriously wrong. That is supposed to take only a 5 volt feed and two signal leads. Inspect the USB cable and port for damage, and repair as necessary before it fries your system.

If you are using a different wall socket for the USB peripheral than the PC, have someone inspect the wall sockets for incorrect or defective wiring. You could be getting a bad ground loop. Also check your PC and peripherals for ground/case shorts.