Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are too many processes slowing my computer?  (Read 5875 times)

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Are too many processes slowing my computer?
    « on: January 18, 2013, 04:05:39 AM »
    I'm using a Toshiba P200 laptop, and lately it seems to have become rather slow. I've looked on windows task manager, and even when I'm not doing anything else there are still over sixty processes going on. Is that normal or is that what's slowing it down? If so, how do I know which processes it's safe to end, if any? Even when I'm not doing anything it says my CPU usage sometimes creeps up to 20% or more, and my physical memory will be at 40% or so (on the performance tab). Again, is that normal? Or is it a sign of my computer geting old?

If I'm only wanting to use one program, would it be effective to make it a priority? I assume you can do that in manager?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Are too many processes slowing my computer?
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:17:40 AM »
    1) Please explain your problem in detail. Exactly WHAT is slow? What are the specific symptoms you are experiencing?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Have you run full scans with BOTH your anti virus app and MalwareBytes? If not, please do so now.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
      I'm going to run some more checks, and will get back to this thread with the results, cheers.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:44:26 AM »
        I've done a scan with AVG antivirus and found nothing. No new software or hardware has been installed
        Speedwise the problem is twofold.
        1. Webpages loading slower than they used to.
        2. I use a 3d art program called DAZ3d Studio. My computer can only use it in a basic way because it requires a lot of processing power, so I don't expect it to be "speedy", but at the moment it has been running a lot slower than it used to.

Any ideas anyone?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »
        I asked you to also scan with MalwareBytes. Please do so.

So the problem is not system-wide, but rather specific to two apps - your browser and DAZ3d. Let's look at the browser first. Please try any other browser than the one you normally use and see if the problem persists.

As for the second problem, you can try a selective startup and see if either there are unnecessary processes loading with the OS or if something in specific is conflicting: Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:47:11 AM »
          A scan for malware detected six threats "if that's the right term" and got rid of them.  Things have since speeded up. For the 3D softwre I altered it from normal to high priority, and that has helped.

I'm not going to start with the msconfig stuff until I know more about it, as I'll probably do something wrong and mess my system up or explode the computer or something.

One thing I've noticed recently is that almost every time I boot up the computer there's a little icon near the volume icon at the bottom, that says "windows is downloaing updates) along with % complete. This slows down everything until it's finished. I know updates are useful, but should it really be doing it this regularly? Surely I don't need updates several times a week?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 05:16:55 AM »
          There's nothing to mess up. Just follow the instructions in my post above. Or not. It's up to you. If the system seems to be running properly now, that's fine.
          « Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:55:27 AM by Allan »

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:51:44 AM »
            I'm going to leave things for now, but I will refer back to this thread if - or rather when - things slow down gain.

Cheers for your advice.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
            One thing I've noticed recently is that almost every time I boot up the computer there's a little icon near the volume icon at the bottom, that says "windows is downloaing updates) along with % complete. This slows down everything until it's finished. I know updates are useful, but should it really be doing it this regularly? Surely I don't need updates several times a week?
            This is abnormal.  Microsoft normally releases Windows Updates once a month, unless some urgent security fix can't wait.  Are you sure the update notice you're seeing is for Windows Updates?  When you see this, do you, as far as you know, allow the computer to finish installing the updates?

What other programs (antivirus, anti-malware, etc.) do you have installed that alerts you to updates?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
            Is this your laptop specs?
            See here also http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-vista-ram-puzzle-is-2gb-enough/282
            I've done a scan with AVG antivirus and found nothing.
            Replace AVG with a more lightweight antivirus http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
            Complete any pending Windows update except for some optional updates which is sometimes not needed.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18:16 AM »
              @soybean: As far as I know it is windows updates and is far more often than once a month. However, as you mentioned, it may be that I'm somehow interrupting the updates without realising. Next time it appears I'll stop using the computer all together until it's finished.

@jason2074: That does seem to be my specs as far as I know. I've used AVG for years and am reluctant to replace it, but would other antivirus software run alongside it or conflict with it? I also use Spybot- search and destroy.

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 07:58:40 AM »
              If you're running the TeaTimer feature of Spybot S&D, try disabling it or even removing it.   It can slow your system.  References: http://www.ehow.com/how_5385338_remove-teatimerexe.html, and http://www.ehow.com/how_4925001_delete-spybot-search-destroy-teatimer.html

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
              AVG has been known to be a system source hungry software with all the bundled features and has lower detection rate compared to MSE. Adding up to your problem is Spybot which is not highly recommended nowadays.  AVG + Spybot means trouble IMO atleast from past experience. You can run once and delete certain threats using this http://general-changelog-team.fr/en/tools/15-adwcleaner and use free spywareblaster in place of spybot.