Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dumb Question?  (Read 2142 times)

jtof86

Dumb Question?
« on: November 14, 2005, 10:53:47 AM »
Where is Windows stored? If I install a new hard drive will another version of windows be added? I bought a computer to upgrade and sell and want it to be clean/new as possible.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Dumb Question?
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:50:24 PM »
    Windows is stored on the C: drive (local disc C:, hard disk C: etc.).
    It's not just one file but all of the files that you see, apart from your own personal files and the application files from any programs installed.

If you are adding a new hard drive you have to add your OS to it.
    Was it an OEM system, or a home built one?
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

Mac

Dumb Question?
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 12:57:25 PM »
    Where is Windows stored? If I install a new hard drive will another version of Windows be added? I bought a computer to upgrade and sell and want it to be clean/new as possible.

A new hard-drive will be blank.

Which make and model of computer do you have and does it have any recovery CDs with it?

Which operating system are you referring to?

jtof86

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:52:24 PM »
    It's a Compaq Presario 5441. It has Windows 98 on it. I am replacing the hard drive before I try to sell because the current one is noisy. I was hoping that a new hard drive would have a better version of Windows. But now I understand that it won't. But will the computer work when I install the new hard drive? And will Windows 98 still come up? But I am curious as to where the c drive is. I always thought the c drive is the hard drive.

Mac

Dumb Question?
    « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:56:17 PM »
    As it is a Compaq it may have a hidden Restore partition, which I think is usually labelled D:

Is this the specification?

Compaq Presario 5441 - Micro tower - 1 x K6-2 450 MHz - RAM 64 MB - HD 1 x 4.3 GB - CD - Win98 - Monitor : 15" CRT
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 05:00:34 PM by Mac »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 05:06:46 PM »
    ... But I am curious as to where the c drive is. I always thought the c drive is the hard drive.

86:

Windows creates partitions on every hard drive when it is installed and gives each partition a drive letter.  (A) and (B) are the drive letters reserved for floppy disk drives, (C) is reserved for the first partition of the first hard drive.  (D) is often the letter given to the first optical drive (e.g., a CD or DVD drive).  Most computers have one hard drive with one partition, seen as Local Disk (C) in My Computer.  When you add another hard drive, it will be given the next available letter of the alphabet (most likely (E)).  

You can only have one version of Windows 9x (e.g., Windows 98) installed on a computer.  When you add the second hard drive, Windows 98 will give it a drive letter and let you save files to it (that is, if you have formatted the hard drive with FAT32).  The hard drive must be connected and jumpered properly.  If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, have a computer repair shop do it for you.  

Once you have the second hard drive ready to use, you may have Windows 98 move the My Documents folder to it to save space for Windows to work on the original hard drive.  

Let us know if you need more help,
    Doc

BTW: Windows 98 is stored in the WINDOWS folder on Local Disk (C).
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 05:09:48 PM by pcdoc4christ »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 08:27:09 PM »
    The short answer is no hard drive is sold with Windows on it. You will have to buy a new (or used) copy to install, or maybe get the system restore to work (and that is a big IF).