Fried my motherboard?

Started by Santiago, August 03, 2006, 08:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santiago

Hello group, I need your help & wisdom.  I built my own computer - Antec case, Gigabyte GA7N400 motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2400 processor, 1gig ram, ATI All-in-wonder AGP card, Sony DVD player, Sony DVD burner, 3 hard drives, Windows XP Home SP2.  It was working great, then I decided to install a rear cooling fan in the case.  I had an 80mm fan with a heat sensor lead on it for variable speed, connected to a power lead from the power supply.  Somehow I pinched the sensor lead and when I tried to restart the computer, it would not start.   So I opened the case, found the problem, repaired the sensor lead, and restarted the computer.  Worked ok.  Then my monitor started to go black intermittently.  So I tried another monitor, worked ok, then it started going black.  Opened up the case and found the cooling fan for the CPU was not working.  So I changed the CPU Cooling fan.  Still didn't work.  Re-installed the original cooling fan, and hooked up the fan to a power lead rather than hooking it back onto the motherboard.  Fan worked ok.  but system still unstable.  Now the question -  do you believe I fried the CPU (?), the motherboard (?), both (?) or do you have any other ideas?  Any help would be appreciated.

squirrel

find another compatible processor and switch it with your own.

then come back and report the results.

soybean

Since you "Opened up the case and found the cooling fan for the CPU was not working", I believe you may have fried the CPU.  Based on numerous comments I've seen in forums on AMD CPUs and their vulnerability to rapid damage in case of CPU fan failure, I understand they can be ruined within seconds of operating without a fan.  

Do you have any idea why the CPU stopped working?  It had prviously been working, right?

Santiago

No, I don't know why the CPU fan quit working, but the CPU was still working, the machine would just go blank, sometimes reset itself.  So I don't know if the Power Supply was damaged when I shorted the case fan sensor leads, or if that took out something on the motherboard.  I also have read of AMD processors being "fried" if you don't have a heatsink on them, but my heatsink was still on the CPU, with the CPU cooling fan not working.

GX1_Man

AMD processors will fry within a second or two if the cooling fails. Intels have thermal protection so the machine will turn off to protect it.

Santiago

OK, but does the CPU control the CPU cooling fan operation?  Did I also fry the motherboard? And/or did I damage the power supply?  Thanks for the help.

GX1_Man

You'll have to replace it a piece at a time until you see what it takes to get it going.

sark

QuoteOK, but does the CPU control the CPU cooling fan operation?  Did I also fry the motherboard? And/or did I damage the power supply?  Thanks for the help.

I don't think the power supply is damaged, though I could be wrong.
Most likely it's your cpu and mobo.
GX1_Man is right, you never know what really happened, I'm just going off of my experience.

Santiago

Thanks for the advice.  I have ordered another motherboard to try..... Working with a tight budget.  I will try one item at a time and get back to all of you with the results.

Thanks again for your help. :(

Santiago

Well, I got another motherboard figuring the old one was toast because it wouldn't power up the cpu fan, also hoping that since the heatsink was still on the processor and I do have a case fan close to it, that it wasn't ruined.  Have transferred all items over to the new board, and so far all is well.  Just wanted to update the group.  I will let you know if any more problems.