can't open a web page

Started by mrspiff, March 02, 2005, 10:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrspiff

Running win me with IE 6.0.
I can connect to my ISP but can not display web page. I get web page not found DNS error .

I have reinstalled IE 2 times, reset my TCP/IP settings. I installed firefox , I have the same result. I hooked up an external modem and same problems.

I don't have a firewall, I had adaware, spybot, AVG.

These programs don't find anything wrong but I have not updated  them in 2 months because of this problem.

I am thinking of a clean re-install, but only as a last resort.

dl65

mrspiff......I suspect that your pc may have been comprimised by a trojan which is redirecting your browsers ...... when you click on say IE 6 ...what address is shown up in the address box.......
If you can get hijackthis on a floppy or burn it to a cd .....I think it may identify the intruder .

let us know

dl65  ::)
If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mrspiff

I am redirected to the standard Microsoft address, ( I guess) that you always get when go to a web page that is no availinble. It is not the "ERROR 404" page, but a similiar page to that.  

I am at work and the computer in reference is at home.
I will copy the adress and send it along on Thursday if you want to see the exact address.

Thanks for helping I am pretty darn confused and frustrated right now.

dl65

mrspiff........    Is the address being displayed ........

http://www.msn.com/  

let us know

mrspiff

I ran xsoft4.11 on my lunch hour. I have a trojan.

trojan /CWS Combo
it is the registry!
How do I delete this from my registry?

dl65

mrspiff......  Wouldn't ....xsoft4.11  remove it for you ?
Which O/S are you using ...?
Try this ....D/L and run cwshedder ..........(stand alone version )
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Let us know

merlin_2

go to c:\windows\options\ cab folder................scrolldown the page ...and when you come across an icon called setup...next ..to scanreg...hit the set up icon...disconnect from the net..before -hand..dont use ie 6 on winme...or update it?? use fire fox/avant/opera browsers if you wish to discover the net..waste of time..really..use ie5.5 with power -power tools..and go to majorgeeks .com and load anti-virus..freebee..and other..goodies..disable the system restore feature.....bugs love to hid there...and a strange title?/ may i had........view profile... is it wind up or real problem anyway the soulition may lie above:)..?

mrspiff

dl65

xoft4.11 was downlaoded from my work pc. I went home and ran it but to completly use xoft i had to purchase a license.  Since I can connect at home but cannot go to any web page I could not complete the purchase to delete from home.

I will try to use spusubtract/cwshredder tonight when I get home. Thanks for all of the help.

merlin_2

ok go to the control panel ..wime...click intenet explorer 6 click add/remove..programs..now click..ie6 remove..a splash screen will appear chose repair ie..done...fire wall sygate or other goodies form majorgeeks .com...also check phone lines /cables//and the isp .....>has not cut you off?>

dl65

mrspiff.......I think we can resolve your issue without having to purchase that software ..........
Let us know the result of the CW Shredder scan and we can go from there .

mrspiff

cwshredder seemed to do the trick, I have acess now and have updated all of my security software.  

However, I now can't use any items in the Control Panel. When I click on any icon Add/Remove, Mail, etc I get a Message sent

"access denied see system adminstrator"

I never had a system adminstrator. I reloaded Win ME and still have the same problem.