how many usb host controllers may be?

Started by san_crazy, April 28, 2009, 11:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

san_crazy

how can I know if there is Standard OpenHCD Usb Host controller, Universal host controller and standard enhanced PCI to Host Controller  in my system? where exactly these resides?

and how many usb port many be in each host controller?

Karnac

If you go to Device manager...type devmgmt.msc into the Run box, click on the + sign at USB controllers at the bottom and you'll see how many controllers you have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

san_crazy

here is the device manager window of my computer. there are three USB host controllers, two of them looks like same.  and three USB root hubs.

where exactly root hubs possibly be in my system?
why two host controllers have same name?

I have windows gui application that make a different tree structure of host controllers and there usb hubs, and ports.

below is my device manager screen shot:

below is the gui application screen shot:

I think the GUI having the full description of USB host controllers their root hubs and ports. but I cant understand one thing, In my system there are only six usb ports but in this GUI application many more USB ports are shown. If this is true, then where are the remaining ports?

san_crazy

patio

I don't understand why you're perplexed...the USB controllers are depending on the MBoard chipset....
How many roots on a hub are also determined by the chipset.
Obviously you can only use as many USB connections that physically exist on the machine.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "