Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ununtu  (Read 5093 times)

james202428

ununtu
« on: October 07, 2009, 01:14:18 AM »
Hello again i being trying ubuntu the last couple days and i like it alot i would switch completely over it was a faster
everything is really slow espiessaly youtube videos they don't even start most of the time and if they do they keep skipping are freeze
the internet browsers take awile to open and after they open they aren't quit as fast as opera and the firefox i use on xp
i downloaded compiz for the 3d cube and applications switching and got that working like i wanted it.

i can't even run 3 are more programs without it stalling are eventually crashing is my computer to slow for this it's a 2.80 celeron with 504 mb of ram  how fast should ubuntu be running i couldn't amaging if i had the bear minumum computer specs reccomended which is about what xp is 350 mhz 128mb minumum i couldn't even amaging using the reccomended 700 with 256 mb ram what do you think the problem is when i try to load the latest drivers in system application are somewere in the the driver logo i'm using my xp right now it's driver something and i get an error and i tried to get the latest drivers online will an older version of ubuntu work better and i read online getting the 32bit instead of the 64 bit will make it run better were do i get that is there a wubi installer for an older version what is the newer version going to be like  and i couldn't get adobe fore my youtube videos so i downloaded something else in the adobe down load there was ubuntu 8.04 with a + after is so i thought that would work for that version and ones newer but i didn't work i think after i downloaded gstreamer it started working but it was as i discribed above. how can i get this to run faster,             my xp is running alot faster after i unistalled alot of stuff so i could use this is running like a million dollars on the latest games on the internet multitasking and don't skip a beat so i don't think it's my computer which is causing ubuntu to run so slow what do you think it could be.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: ununtu
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
If you had it running locally vs off the Live-CD or DVD you would have better performance given you only have 504MB Ram which means you have a GPU that is stealing system Ram as well.

Linux runs quick even on lower end CPU's, and your performance issues are likely because the majority of your Ram is being used to run Ubuntu Live.

If you have a spare hard drive or if this computer is not your main computer, I would install Ubuntu directly to the hard drive and give that a try.

I have a Pentium III 850 Mhz with 384MB Ram that runs Ubuntu nice and fast on a 13GB Hard Drive. No issues whatsoever. Videos after installing flash plugins were smooth with no problems on an old NVidia AGP 16MB Ram Video card.

You can also get better performance I heard by installing Xubuntu instead which is geared more towards lower end machines, which is at version 9.04 i think.

james202428

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
I'm not running ubuntu off a cd i used wubi  and i did add a gb of memory like i showed in one of my other posts

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
... i used wubi  ...
I think that may be the main cause of the slow performance you've experienced.  By installing with wubi, you're running Ubuntu as a application installed in Windows.  Therefore, the computer must really run both Windows and Ubuntu, if I understand wubi correctly. 

What about creating a dual-boot configuration instead of using wubi?  You'll need to create a separate partition unless you have two hard drives.  You can create partitions when installing Ubuntu.  Here's a reference: Dual Boot Ubuntu and Windows