Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apple "refuses to repair smokers' Macs"  (Read 3516 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Apple "refuses to repair smokers' Macs"
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:48:04 AM »

Apple is reportedly refusing to repair the Macs of smokers because the tobacco residue inside the machines poses a health risk.

Two separate US Apple repair centres have allegedly told customers that they couldn't repair their Macs because their machines had been contaminated by cigarette smoke.

Link

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Salmon Trout

Re: Apple "refuses to repair smokers' Macs"
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
When I repaired TVs some of them were terrible for smoking residue, but worse were the ones that had been used in households where deep fat fryers were in frequent use.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
Assumed you still repaired them though right Salmon Trout? Also curious what type of residue do deep fat fryers have?

I've worked on a lot of PCs from smokers houses that were packed full of smokers residue but would never think of saying that it couldn't be repaired as much as I didn't like the thought of cleaning them. ;)

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:29:19 AM »
Also curious what type of residue do deep fat fryers have?

Congealed fat, which has trapped dust, human hair, dead insects, particles of burnt and unburnt food, etc. What health inspectors call "flocculent filth" when they find it on uncleaned walls and ceilings especially in *SPAM*.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
Huh. Fascinating, sounds as if that would be a lot more of a pain to work with inside of electronics.
-Albert Einstein

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
They wouldn't want to have me as a customer.  I'd beat the moron that told me that right into the dirt.  Then I'd go visit Mr. Jobs and have satisfaction.

They do realize that they can't see the residue that Crystal leaves on the components?
Evil is an exact science.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »
Assumed you still repaired them though right Salmon Trout?

I didn't clean them out completely; I did the bare minimum necessary to get  the set going again. The most usual thing was the EHT tracking to earth because of grease buildup around the CRT anode connector. Often a good clean around the anode connection would be enough but sometimes the excess current would take down the EHT tripler and more rarely the line (horizontal) output transformer and transistor would have gone down too.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »
Salmon, that sure is slick.
Evil is an exact science.

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »
Only one thing can happen. The number of smokers will reduse or the number of PC users will increase. Eather is good but I would prefer the former.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.