Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Notebook with Windows 7 and Issues  (Read 2497 times)

swofky

New Notebook with Windows 7 and Issues
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »
Greetings!

I have an HP G72 series notebook given to me as a gift two weeks ago.  It was purchased at an Aaron's rental place and Aaron's has some stuff on it to track it, I guess.  Anyway, I can't reformat it as long as my friends who purchased it for me are paying for it.

It's a beautiful unit, but there are issues.  Was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions as to how I might resolve them.

The system:  Intel P6 100 @ 2.00 GHz, 320 GB HDD, 6 GB DDR RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  This is my first experience with an HP computer and also with 64 bit systems.

First thing, I uninstalled Norton's with the Norton Removal Tool and attempted to install AVG as I have a subscription to it and it's my favorite AV of all time; however, AVG won't install - error code 0xC0070643.  Contacted AVG 9 days ago and have gotten no help from them.  Now using the MSE that came with Windows, SpywareBlaster, and SuperAntiSpyware, paid version, and MalwareBytes. The only one in startup is MSE - - so the others don't start up unless I initiate them so there're no conflicts.

Secondly, the Alt+F4 keyboard command won't work.  Bummer.  Anyone know how to make it work?

Thirdly, today I discovered all the restore points had deleted since yesterday, with no command from me to do so.  I enlarged the disk space allowed for System Restore and set another point and so far it's still there.

Also, it seems to hang up a lot and does odd things like right now there's a little rectangle on the screen that usually shows up when I pass the cursor over the network icon on the taskbar - - it has the name of my network and says 'Internet Access' under it.  It's just sitting here just below center of the screen covering up anything behind it in any program I open.  Annoying.  Often, the mouse cursor jumps around the page, causing me to type where I didn't want to type.  REALLY annoying!

Lastly, the computer I passed on to my husband when I got this one has only 3 GB of RAM but is so much faster than this one that I upgraded to 6 GB the day I got it (it came with 3).

I ran MSE and SuperAntiSpyware and they found nothing threatening, so I don't think there's any malicious software on it, other than, maybe the Aaron's stuff.  I installed MalwareByte's and it found nothing either.

I ran PCPitstop's OverDrive and the only thing it found wrong was that the computer needed defragging.  Installed Defraggler from Piriform and after running, it says the computer is still 10% fragged - - 2 files won't defrag:  pagefile and hiberfil.  They are both very large.  I turned off hibernation and am defragging now and plan to do the same with pagefile; however, I really don't think fragmentation is causing any of the problems

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks IMMENSELY!
S.

sirrap_tech

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: New Notebook with Windows 7 and Issues
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:23:11 AM »
    You should contact Aaron's Rental Place about the issues. It may have been custom built with programs that may be conflicting to the base programs included with the W7 operating system.

Norton is a tricky tool to get rid of. Check in the programs and features menu (in the control panel) and make sure that Norton and all of its files are completely gone.

As for your AVG issue, I'm attaching a link to their forum. This is a well known issue, hopefully there's a solution or workaround:

http://forums.avg.com/au-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=117715

As for the speed difference between the 2 computers of yours and your hubby's, it's not only based on memory. CPU (processor) is the key component. His, the one you pass on to him, may have a faster processor and/or multiple cores than the one that was given to you.