Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good sound in only 1 speaker  (Read 8304 times)

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Good sound in only 1 speaker
    « Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »
    For whatever the reason the O/P is STRONGLY adverse to accepting the advice to PURCHASE a sound card (well even to "borrow" one). I cannot resist the conclusion that they really want to replace the computer or are very lonely. truenorth

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS

This issue has been resolved for a grand total of 8 bucks by purchasing that adaptor.  The problem was the sound jack, and not the sound card.  Stood to reason it was probably the sound jack since I mentioned the sound was fine when I used headphones.

Truenorth -

While I appreciate your help in troubleshooting, you aren't doing this site any favors by making comments like that.  I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of cracking any part of my computer open, and felt it made sense to drop less than 10 bucks on what might be an easy fix.  It turned out to be the correct fix.  Your suggestion was wrong. 

Thanks to the rest of you for the help.  I'm out of here and this thread is over.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »
      You will note my suggestion in my post #12 "This tends to support the possibility that your issue is related to the jack plug (mini jack) that is at the rear of your sound card. truenorth" It was always my belief that your issue was related to a "jack port " . I simply felt that purchasing a replacement sound card (which does include ALL the jack ports) would be the easiest way for you to proceed. I am pleased that you have overcome the problem. You also can note that i also suggested borrowing a sound card --which given what we know now would have resulted in the proven fact that the jack port was faulty and then you could have proceeded as you have or alternatively replaced the sound card. truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
      Actually, what was purchased is pretty much a new sound card...

That is, the sound you hear from it is not generated by your sound circuitry, but rather by the adapter.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »
      Truenorth -

While I appreciate your help in troubleshooting, you aren't doing this site any favors by making comments like that.  I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of cracking any part of my computer open, and felt it made sense to drop less than 10 bucks on what might be an easy fix.  It turned out to be the correct fix.  Your suggestion was wrong. 

Just so you know Truenorth is a long time valuable contributor to the site and gives valid suggestions for troubleshooting many issues...
      Had you taken the time to read his suggestion to borrow a card to troubleshoot ( which costs zero ) you would have determined it was in fact a jack problem...

To insinuate he was wrong is innaccurate at best.

patio.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »

To insinuate he was wrong is innaccurate at best.

patio.

In fact, it's kind of funny in a way because they are telling him his suggestion was wrong, but might not realize they are in fact following it at the same time, since the USB adapter does in fact act as another Sound device.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
      Yepper...

I just thought considering all advice given it was inappropiate.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "