Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Did I fry my harddrive?  (Read 2232 times)

Tim R

Did I fry my harddrive?
« on: August 24, 2005, 05:04:06 AM »
Hey everyone, I pray that somebody can tell me I haven't done the unthinkable. Here's what happened, and please don't laugh. I just moved from the U.S. to the U.K. and brought my computer with me. When setting it up in my new home I entirely forgot to change the voltage on the back of my cpu. Consequently, when I tried to plug in my tower using an adaptor, as soon as the plug touched the socket there was a loud spark and some smoke came from inside my cpu. I panicked and left the computer alone for 24 hours praying that by some miracle I hadn't completely ruined it. I came back and changed the voltage on the back of the tower and plugged it in again (without a spark this time) and tried turning it on...nothing, of course. Could anyone tell me what I've actually done to my computer, because I have no clue. Have I fried my hard drive and lost all my files from the last 5 years? Tell me it isn't so! Please! Any help would be hugely appreciated because I'm rather distressed. Thanks in advance,

Tim

Raptor

Re: Did I fry my harddrive?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 05:45:23 AM »
as soon as the plug touched the socket there was a loud spark and some smoke came from inside my cpu. I panicked and left the computer alone for 24 hours praying that by some miracle I hadn't completely ruined it. I came back and changed the voltage on the back of the tower and plugged it in again (without a spark this time) and tried turning it on...nothing, of course.

The CPU is the Central Processing Unit.

Try replacing your Power Supply Unit, your other hardware may have been saved.