Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive help  (Read 2421 times)

kolby

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    hard drive help
    « on: January 10, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
    If this is in the wrong spot I apologize. Not sure if it should go here or under Windows.... I've been having trouble with my computer for about the past month or so. At fist, the only problem was getting redirected while on the internet. I knew I needed to fix it but I didn't really have the time. Last week a program popped up (on my computer not the browser) that I had not installed and it was obvious that it shouldn't be there. Also, all my programs and files disappeared aside from what was on the dock. I turned the computer off and started it back up in safe mode. I ran a few things during the start to try and get it out of there. I ended up doing a system restore as well. As far as I know it is gone, and I have my programs back. Now the big problem. One of my hard drives says it is empty when I click on it. When I go to my computer it says that it little free space, the same amount it had before all the problems. I believe my files are still there, I just can't see them. I am really hoping I can get them back. I design merch for bands and everything I have ever done is on this hard drive. Hopefully someone can help me.

truenorth

Guru

Re: hard drive help
      « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
      What is your operating system/what is the "program" that wasn't supposed to be there/what is the type of computer involved? So if i understand correctly it was solely due to the "system restore" that you did that you believe that the programs and files were restored? What virus protection do you have and did you try to use that at any point during this?I suspect that you have some virus/malware that will be a  the base of this problem. If you have the ability to remove the HDD (is it a partition or an actual physical HDD) from the current computer and slave it to another computer that might give you access to the files.truenorth

kolby

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:46:14 AM »
        Thanks for your response. I am using Windows 7. I don't remember the name 100% but it was something like Windows Anti Spyware. It was not due to the system restore but the system restore did not help. I got my files back using a program that I think is called Unhide. I had been using AVG but my trial ran out. I think I got the malware out using HijackThis and UnHack Me though I'm not certain. The redirects have stopped but my internet still seems to be slower than it should but only when searing for something.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:44:42 AM »
        Install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 05:56:00 AM »
        Install Microsoft Security Essentials.
        Before you follow the above advice, do you have an anti virus app currently installed?

Lisa_maree

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
        Hi Kolby,

Sorry to hear about the drive not showing your files. It would appear that the files are still there just need to be shown. First off make sure you have another empty drive to put the recovered files . This is important as it will give you a chance if the first recovery isn't success to try other options.
        Download and install on the the windows 7 drive either 

Recover my files from www.recovermyfiles.com

or Get data back ntfs from  http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Both are commercial software but either will show the files that can be recovered before buying.

there are free options as well, but try these first. And remember never write anything to a drive that you are recovering.

Lisa