Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I update my Web Site from my iPhone?  (Read 7406 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How can I update my Web Site from my iPhone?
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:52 PM »
Yes, I would like to update my web site from my cell phone.  I do not of a way to do nit, but nit is sheer overkill. I am not ready to go that far,. Not yet. It is now a very, very plain HTML site with just none page.

Is thee some simple way I can have a area in the page e that I can update e by just sending an e-mail to a private address?

AS s far as i know, there is not iPhone app that can do FTP. Am I wrong? if there is, then there is not point is going further with this. If not, I would try a server side script that could read and e-mail, verify it and put in test into a frame Like maybe a side bar.

I have not done this before (in plain HTML)  and am hoping somebody can tell me thee er is a simple way to do nit. I am the administrator of the site, so I can have scripts on the server.
Any suggestions welcome.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Re: How can I update my Web Site from my iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
A server-side script to read email would be your best bet. Wordpress has it built-in.

Alternatively just install an FTP app and use a text editor to edit the page and save it, then upload it again using FTP.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »
I was listening in to the latest Hak5 episode last night when multitasking other stuff and heard of a way to do something like this through untangle with openvpn. Check out their website at www.hak5.org for this Untangled OpenVPN episode. I'd share direct link here, but gov computer blacklists it. Darren and Shannon usually have pretty good stuff to share. I have donated money to them a few times since 2005 and have chatted a few times with Darren via e-mail. Great Guy, but busy! I am amazed that he is able to pull it off to get an informative show weekly.

I downloaded the 32-bit ISO of Untangled and will be playing with this when I get an hour or so to check it out. It looks like this software is free to run on your own hardware, and they promote offering this service on their own hardware, and well as charge for certain modules such as the Web Cache Module, in which Squid is the free alternative that I used in the past.

With a VPN connection, you could send web page updates to a web server through this through iPhone possibly.

ShaneTFletcher

Rookie
  • If In Doubt, Check It Out
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »
Or simply install an CMS to your website and when you want to edit text etc, login into the back end of your website and do edits on your phone.

The type of CMS is up to you. People recommend Wordpress, others will say Joomla. I personally use GetSimple XML based CMS.
If In Doubt, Check It Out

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:25:37 AM »
Or simply install an CMS to your website... People recommend Wordpress...

This.  I use WordPress on a couple of sites and there are some great mobile apps that make it easy to write/edit posts etc.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
  • Sup!?
    • Where we learn IT daily!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »
It really depends on your website.

Mine is a blog using Wordpress. Wordpress has apps for everyphone so you can update your site. Check them out at http://wordpress.org/mobile or via email like you asked, check out http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_to_your_blog_using_email

Untangle and OpenDNS are fantastic together if you are hosting your own site. If your website is cloud hosted then you have no need for either. Plus you would spend some time trying to figure out the email paths and routing.

Joomla is a fantastic CMS and there are extension you can add on for that granular editing from a phone and the email/text to blog feature.

The one other thing I would say/ask, is why would you want to update form your phone!? Anything more than a hundred words would start to feel tiring on a phone or even a tablet. But thats just my opnion.

Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

bluelogic

• Herp De Derp Derp
    • Blue Logic IT Support
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:33:19 AM »
setup your website using wordpress and update it using the wordpress app. Its a pain to setup if you're a n00b but will be the easiest thing for you to manage long term.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »
Thanks to all. I will go with WordPress.  :)