Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network, but no internet, except on subnet  (Read 2793 times)

crobertson

Topic Starter

• Breaking computer and fixing them back since 1980
    • The Computer Doctor Scottsboro
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Network, but no internet, except on subnet
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
I've been doing this quite a while, and I'm sure it is something simple I'm overlooking, but I've worked on this long enough.
I have a primary network x.x.0.1 and a subnet running on off a wireless router x.x.1.1
I have a computer that I reinstalled windows 7pro x64 and has been running on the primary network (shows that it did work)
I installed windows and have it connected to the subnet. It works great. Internet and all that.
I connect the computer to the primary network, and it has network, but no internet. Swith it back and it works fine.
I attached the ipconfig files below.
I figured it was a DNS problem, but it has been working on this network previously. I pinged 8.8.8.8 (google dns) and nothing. I can not get past my Firewall/router/dhcp. I even put the ip address in the DMZ. I have no mac blocking or other addresses at the same ip.
I just don't know. When I can get everyone off, I'm going to take out the firewall and see if I still have the problem.
I am even able to post this from the computer. Darndest thing I have ever seen. I'm expecting some obscure mapping on the firewall device, but that should block the subnet too.
I manually entered a different ip address, set the mac to a fixed IP address etc. then removed it and nothing works.

Remember this, dns only points ip address when you enter a doman name so you can ping the IP address regardless.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
Chris Robertson
The Computer Doctor

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
Re: Network, but no internet, except on subnet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
I've been doing this quite a while, and I'm sure it is something simple I'm overlooking, but I've worked on this long enough.
Well, to begin with, it does not seem very simple at.
Why not do it  the simple way?
For Windows networking as a basic network, you just let Windows do all.
N o need to set up two networks, No need to set DNS. N o need to do DMZ.
Let the router or modem do the  DHCP stuff.
You did not say if this was a home network or a business network.
Are you an IT administrator?
Windows 7 64 bit works like other versions of Windows.  It has a simple Network Wizard that works most of the time.
It will help if you can explain why you need something more complicated.

crobertson

Topic Starter

• Breaking computer and fixing them back since 1980
    • The Computer Doctor Scottsboro
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:45:52 AM »
Yes, I'm an IT administrator. We have two networks for security reasons (one for general wireless)
I only set DNS and DMZ to diagnose the problem. It is just a basic setup on a business network.

It was set up simple, all the rest was in attempt to troubleshoot the problem.
As it turns out, I had a hunch the router/firewall was blocking this computer.
I used a usb Ethernet card just to test if it was a mac address issue, and it worked.
I swapped out the router/firewall with the backup (afterhours) and the computer connected fine.
What it turns out to be is the mac address was used to fix the IP address previously. After removing the Static IP address the appliance did not release the mac address and was pointing to a blank. Something wrong inside the appliance.
What made this one difficult is everything pointed to the router/firewall but there were no signs of it blocking. The mac address blocking page is empty and there are no other settings. From doing a little reading on the manufacturer's page this is one of those devices that has unusual problems that you just have to reset it and move on.
Chris Robertson
The Computer Doctor

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing.