Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Second Life - aka SL - Question regarding in game purchases  (Read 4003 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Second Life - aka SL - Question regarding in game purchases
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
Was wondering if anyone here plays or has played Second Life to answer a question about a problem I ran into.

The problem is that I earned L$ ( in game currency which costs real money through watching some advertisments vs spending my money ) and I went to buy some avitar accessories to customize my avitar. For the most part the purchases in game went well and items applied correctly to myself with the 865 $L that I had to spend. I was able to apply the items advertised in the game to my avitar, however I found a vendor in the game that had a couple clothing sets less expensive than the others and I bought all 3 sets, and when applied to my avitar I end up wearing the sign that was on the wall so I have a sign embedded through my avitar.

Looking around on google I didn't find anything on this issue, and I feel like maybe I was scammed in game spending the virtual currency to buy virtual objects in which someone instead of giving me the copy of the clothes instead sold me flat copies of the signs that I selected and were advertised as clothing.

One of the clothing items said something about applying it to your right-hand. I went in and selected that and it places the flat sign through my wrist and impales my body of my avitar. A person in game talked something about differences between MESH and Classic items. Classic Avitar selections which I have one of is suppose to work with both I was told. I for the sake of testing attempted to apply the clothing to a newer avitar model and ended up with the same results, so I don't believe it to be a compatibility issue with older Classic style avitar in which the clothing fails to wrap to the avitar. I took some screen shots and could share them if needed, but they are on my home computer and I am typing this from work on my 15 min break.

Is there a way to fix this issue or get my virtual money back through some sort of customer complaint system in game?

BTW Second Life came out like 11 years ago and I forgot about it until a friend suggested I check it out. Its way different than when I saw it at launch in 2004. Lots of interesting scripts and multimedia features embedded to play streaming content on virtual TV's etc while in game etc, and juke boxes to select what music to play from internet streams and players etc. As well as someone shared with me an unofficial Disney location in which someone painstakenly reconstructed the layout of some of Disney with stores, rides, events, etc. They even had a parade that plays out at timed intervals and random weather in which it rained. Reminded me of the last time I was to Orlando and sure enough it rained while at Disney.. LOL  :P

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Second Life - aka SL - Question regarding in game purchases
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:40:38 AM »
ok I found a solution.... a person in game told me that I needed to drag and drop the item to be rezzed on the ground. Then I had to open the rezzed container, and then I received the items, and then click on it again as its rezzed to get rid of the 2D sign that I rezzed from inventory.

All set now, and glad I didn't get scammed into not getting what was advertised in the virtual environment.

While SL is cool in many aspects, its user interface controls seem not very straight forward. It should be much easier to just buy and item and apply it, and in this game it seems like you need to get items added to inventory and sometimes go through a process to get the items from containers that aren't obvious they are hidden within containers. A mouse over option with unpackage contents would make it so much easier than going through about 8 steps that if you don't know how to perform them from someone else telling you your out of luck and lost like I was.  ::)