Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Turn off problem  (Read 3081 times)

cronkyboy1

Turn off problem
« on: November 30, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »
 :-/ I am using windows xp service pack 2 everytime i try to turn off my computer using the turn off icon the computer goes through all the normal motions but then restarts itself instead of turning off.
The problem started when i attached a philips mp3 player and was not able to transfer any music to the player which i gave up trying and eventualy uninstalled the whole programe but ever since the the turn off problem has been present can anyone help me resolve this problem.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Turn off problem
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »
    cronkyboy1..... Would you please list exactly how you are shutting down as well as any boxes that appear asking you for a response.

For example , you click Start/Shutdown .....then what?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:00:17 AM »
    Go to Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Settings (under startup and system failure, near the bottom) and uncheck automatically restart
    This will stop the computer restarting itself on errors and will hopefully give you an error message to tell you more about the problem instead
    Restarting on errors is possibly the least useful setting ever, as it just confuses and annoys people
    Hope this helps

cronkyboy1

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 12:26:18 PM »
    Thanks folks. just unchecked the auto restart box worked 1st time
     Thanks again to all. ;D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »
    Cool, glad I could help
    @dl65 - didn't even see your post until just now, I must've been typing mine when you posted your response

cronkyboy1

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »
    Thanks Calum I did get the big blue message saying some kind of hardware had not been installed properly i am hoping that was referring to the philips software that i had a problem with but eventually uninstalled as it gave me too many problems and i got rid of it.
    As you can probably guess i am a complete novice so i am glad i found this site and will probably be asking a lot of questions in the future. wether i understand the answers remains to be seen,
    Cheers.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »
    Welcome to Computerhope (meant to say it at first but it slipped my mind).
    This is a good place to get great advice, hang out and make friends.
    If the blue screen happens again, post the message here so we can see what's going on.
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:42:23 PM by Calum »

cronkyboy1

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 04:56:54 AM »
    When i shut down windows it turns off ok but i get a message that reads,
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    DRIVER  POWER  STATE  FAIL URE.
    I this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen restart your computer if this screen appears again follow these steps.
    Check to make sure any new hard or software is properly installed if new installation ask your hard/software manufacturer for windows update you might need.
    If problem continues disable or remove hard/software
    Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing if need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart use F8 select advanced startup and safe mode.
    The numbers at the bottom read.
    xxx stop:0x0000009f(0x00000500 0x00000002, 0x84239020,0x845D8E60)
    None of this means much to me but it may include somthing you need to assist me solving this problem.
    The problem started when i tried to install a Philips hdd065/05 portable music device without any success.
    After a lot of problems i uninstalled the software and gave up the task.
    The device did try to install but was not successful. and when i go to control panel and click portable music device there is no device shown. (i did not have a portable device icon before.)
    Now i just want to uninstall any hard/software associated with the device as it seems to be giving me problems i never had before.
    I have tried to restore my computer to previous state by creating a restore point from day previous to the date i tried to install the philips player but no success there.
    Hope this all tells you enough to mabe help in some way.
    Windows xp service pack 2.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 10:38:49 AM »
    Download CCleaner and set it up as here - http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149558249
    Then run it, and check the uninstaller - it may find somehting Windows couldn't.
    Then do the following.
    Go to Start --> Run.  type cmd and press enter.
    Type the following.
    set devmgr_show_details=1 (press enter)
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 (press enter)
    start devmgmt.msc
    Now device manager will open.
    Click View --> Show Hidden devices.
    Everything showed faintly is disconnected.
    Now remove all entries relating to the Philips device by right clicking on it and pressing uninstall.
    Exit device manager and reboot.
    Also, go to Program Files in Windows Explorer and delete any folders belonging to the device (named Philips or similar)
    Hope this helps.